Dr. Carl Pettiford, Ph. D.
Chair, Department of Engineering
Professor of Electrical Engineering
Dr. Carl Pettiford received his B.S. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Hawaii, M.S. in Electrical Engineering from the University of Dayton, and Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering from Northeastern University.
- Senior Member Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Member American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
- Member AFCEA (Armed Forces Communications and Electronics Association)
- Member ECEDHA (Electrical and Computer Engineering Department Heads Association)
Publications and Presentations
- Chapter: Strong Electric Field Tuning of Magnetism in Multiferroic Heterostructures, Ming Liu, Jing Lou, Ogheneyunume Obi, David Reed, Carl Pettiford, Stephen Stoute, Nian X. Sun, 01/2010: pages 53 - 66; ISBN: 9780470584422
- Article: Strong magnetoelectric coupling at microwave frequencies in metallic magnetic film/lead zirconate titanate multiferroic composites, C. Pettiford, J. Lou, L. Russell, N. X. Sun, Applied Physics Letters 04/2008;
- Article: Bias Field Effects on Microwave Frequency Behavior of PZT/YIG Magnetoelectric Bilayer, C. Pettiford, S. Dasgupta, Jin Lou, S.D. Yoon, N.X. Sun, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 08/2007;
- Article: Self-assembled magnetic nanowire arrays, Ming Liu, Jalal Lagdani, Hassan Imrane, Carl Pettiford, Jing Lou, Soak Yoon, Vincent G. Harris, Carmine Vittoria, Nian. X. Sun, Applied Physics Letters 01/2007; 90.
- Article: Effective Anisotropy Fields and Ferromagnetic Resonance Behaviors of CoFe/PtMn/CoFe Trilayers, C. Pettiford, A. Zeltser, S.D. Yoon, V.G. Harris, C. Vittoria, N.X. Sun, IEEE Transactions on Magnetics 11/2006;
Honors and Awards
- ASEE Fellow, Summer Faculty Research Program, Navy, 2010.
Professional development activities
- CAER Smartlights Lighting Project, Lynchburg, VA 2011
- CAER Cellphone Project, Lynchburg, VA 2011
- IEEE, CEU Course on Wireless Communications Engineering, 2011
- Six Sigma Green Belt Certification, 2007