Marine Tuition Assistance
Tuition Assistance (TA) is a benefit offered to service members to assist with the cost of tuition. TA typically covers 100% of tuition, up to the $250 per credit hour and $4,500 per military fiscal year caps.
- Must be an Active Duty service member with the U.S. Marine Corps or a Marine Corps Reservist on "Activated" orders to qualify.
- Minimum of 24 months of service required to be eligible.
- May cover up to $250 per credit hour and $4500 per military fiscal year.
- May cover up to 18 credit hours per military fiscal year.
- Funding must be requested within 30 days of the start date of the course. Funding requests cannot be approved after the start date of the course.
Additional Eligibility Requirements
- TA will be authorized for first-time TA applicants for only one course, unless documentation is provided that the Marine has at least an Associate's Degree or at least sixty (60) academic credits and a minimum GPA of 2.0.
- TA will not be authorized for classes that begin prior to the conclusion of a previously approved course.
- TA funds for approved involuntary withdrawal waivers and failed courses will count toward the individual fiscal year ceilings.
- TA will be authorized for only one course in the succeeding academic term in the event that, (1) overall GPA falls below 2.5, (2) A "D" is received in any course during the previous term, or (3) a voluntary withdrawal occurs from any courses that occurred during the previous term.
- TA will not be authorized for duplicate degrees (i.e. second associate degree) or double majors.
- Open issues in Marine TA accounts, including incomplete courses, reimbursement issues, and waivers, must be resolved and posted to the student record prior to approval of future TA requests.
- Prior to TA approval, first-time TA applicants will complete the Marine Corps Institute Personal Financial Management (Course ID 3420g).
- TA will not be approved retroactively. TA applications must be submitted and command approved prior to the requested course start date. In addition to the requirements for officers in reference a, reserve component officers on active duty orders/mobilization must have an end of active duty status (EAS) date of two years beyond the completion date of the requested class in order to be approved for TA.
- Enlisted marines must have an EAS of 60 days beyond the completion date of the course in order to be approved for TA.
Note: Liberty University does not determine eligibility for Tuition Assistance. The above noted items were received from the U.S. Marine Corps. Please contact your ESO to determine your full eligibility requirements.
How to Enroll
Step 1: Complete the Admissions Process and apply for Financial Aid.
Step 2: Register for courses.
Step 3: Apply for TA at your Unit’s Military Education Office.
- Apply for TA online, using links provided below, or contact your education office on base. Please make a note of your registration information (course titles, enrollment dates, etc.) as this will be required on the TA application. Once approved, you will receive the authorized form.
Step 4: Submit authorized TA form to Military Affairs at least one week before Financial Check-in deadline.
- Fax: (434) 455-1287 OR
- Scan/E-mail: email@example.com OR
- Drop by our office, Green Hall- Student Service Center (ask to speak to a Military Affairs Counselor)
Step 5: The Military Affairs Office will post the authorized amount of TA to your student account and send you an email to your Liberty University email address.
Step 6: Once you receive an email stating your TA has been posted, please complete Financial Check-in (if you have not already done so).
Step 7: Once the term is completed, we will submit your grades to the military within 30 days.