Dr. David Towles
Professor of Spanish
|Dr. David Towles
David Towles began teaching at LU in 1976. Initially, he taught English 100, 101 and 102 exclusively. Once the languages program began in 1980, he taught a combination of English and Spanish courses until he attained a full load of Spanish, at some time during the mid-eighties. He served as Department Chair 1993-1994, when the department was dropped due to university-wide financial contraints.
In 1998, after two failed attempts, he founded the LU Spanish Institute, a program designed to help students obtain on-the-field instruction in Spanish. The centerpiece of this program is a yearly two-month summer stay in Guatemala where students take intensive Spanish courses while using their Spanish primarily for ministry and evangelism.
In recent years, Towles is more enthusiastic than ever about the privilege of teaching at this dynamic institution. With his twin focus on electronic media within the classroom and evangelism beyond it, he looks forward to many more years of student mentoring and classroom teaching.
Ed.D., Curriculum & Instruction, Virginia Tech (1986)
M.A., Spanish, California State University, Sacramento (1976)
B.A., Spanish/English, Tarleton State (1970)
- Spanish 101 - Elementary Spanish I
- Spanish 102 - Elementary Spanish II
- Spanish 201 - Intermediate spanish I
- Spanish 202 - Intermediate Spanish II
- Spanish 301 - Grammar & Composition
- Spanish 302 - Composition & Conversation
- Spanish 304 - Latin American Culture & Civilization
- Spanish 321 - Peninsular Literature
- Spanish 322 - Hispanic Literature
- Spanish 323 - Latin American Literature
- Spanish 450 - Capstone course
Scholarly Interests/Current Research
- Language instruction in the electronic classroom - currently conducting a comparative study between an electronic classroom and a traditional classroom.
- I have written three eBooks for use in teaching Intermediate Spanish II, the paradigm of text-based language instruction: One features readings from the Spanish Bible, another features Latin American short stories, and the third one features a combination of Bible readings and Latin American short stories
Creator, LU Modern Languages program - 1980-present
Creator, LU Spanish Institute - 1999-present
Self-Study, Steering Committee - 1985, 1995
Director, LU Modern Languages Committee - 1980-2012
Director, LU Spanish program - 1980-present
Prayer Leader, Liberty Baptist Church, Sunday School class
Developing and implementing an evangelistic trip, Liberty Baptist Church, December 28-January 4
Each year served one or more times as member or leader of an evangelistic trip to Guatemala, Hope of Life International - 200-2013
Under the auspices of LU Spanish Institute, led leaders of LU academic programs in trips designed to help the poor of Guatemala while also providing hands-on learning opportunities for our students, specifically in connection with the hospital that Hope of Life has recetly constructed in Guatemala, Hope of Life International - 2011-2013