COUN 698 Practicum
Spring 2016: November 2, 2015
Spring 2016 Submission Portal
Upcoming practicum application deadlines:
- Summer 2016: February 29, 2016
View Practicum Opportunities
- Starting in spring 2014, students' start date to begin logging practicum hours will be no earlier than the first official day of the academic semester.
- The COUN 698 practicum course is a full-semester commitment. Students will remain with their practicum site and supervisor for the duration of the academic semester. Students must complete all practicum hours and requirements within 1 academic semester.
- Due to the reduced number of minimum required hours, students can only be approved for 1 site and 1 supervisor in the practicum.
- Students must complete a background check as part of practicum application. Please visit the background check website in the menu to the left for further instructions.
Requirements and Preparation
- Must have 3.0 cumulative GPA or above by the posted application deadline
- Complete Prerequisites: COUN 500, 501, 502, 504, 505, 510, 512, 515 (formally 503), 521, 522, 646, 667
- All prerequisite courses are non-negotiable and must be successfully completed prior to the start of the Practicum.
- Note: Students enrolled in a degree completion plan prior to 2013-2014 or took COUN 501 before Fall 2013 will not be required to complete COUN 500 as a prerequisite to COUN 698.
- ***COUN students can only enroll in COUN 667 and the practicum in the same semester if their 667 Intensive occurs before or in the same month as the start date for the practicum. For example, if the spring start date for the practicum is January 13, then to enroll in the practicum for the spring term, the student must take the 667 Intensive in the month of January or before. If 667 is taken in February or March, then registration for the practicum will be for the summer term.
- Find a practicum site and supervisor
- Due to the potential time required in locating a site and supervisor, students are encouraged to begin looking for a site and supervisor 3-4 months prior to the application submission deadline set by the practicum/internship office.
- The practicum/internship office offers state site lists, for each state. These lists are compiled of sites and supervisors previously used by Liberty students. If you would like a copy of a state site list sent to you, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit all the required approval paperwork through the online submission portal by the application deadline
- After your documents have been approved, you will receive an approval email with your start date for earning hours. The Practicum Team will register you for the course.
- Please note that the COUN 698 practicum course is only offered in the A term of each semester. This means that it is a full-semester course. The course is approximately 17 weeks in the fall and spring semesters and 14 weeks in summer.
- Fieldwork Contract (signed by the supervisor & student)
- Supervisor & Site Information Form (signed by the site director, the supervisor, & student)
- Digital Photo of Student
- Copy of Student Liability Insurance
- American Databank Background Check Receipt (Background check and FBI fingerprinting) (VA Child Abuse also required for students residing in Virginia).
- Choose one of the following packets:
- Affiliation Agreement (Signed by the site & student)
- How to complete the Affiliation Agreement.
Below is a list of the types of sites that can typically be approved for practicum fieldwork:
- Counseling agency
- Private practice
- University counseling center
- Community services board
*A potential school site must provide mental health services to elementary, middle, and/or high school-aged students. The site must use approved informed consent and maintain records of counseling sessions.
**A potential church site must be an established church counseling center/services that uses approved informed consent and maintains client records of counseling sessions.
Approved Supervisors for Practicum
Examples of Supervisors
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed Psychologist (LP) – a Psychologist that earned a doctoral degree in Psychology (Psy. D.)
- Ph.D. or Ed.D. in Counselor Education and Supervision (from an accredited university)
- Doctorate degrees that are not in the counseling field or are unaccredited
- Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) – with the only exception of the macro- or clinical- designations in the state of Michigan.
- Limited Licensed Professional Counselor (LLPC)
- Master of Divinity
- Pastoral Counselors
- School Counselors
- Supervisors who are not licensed in the same state as the practicum site.
Changing/Adding Your Practicum Site/Supervisor
Students are allowed to switch sites/supervisors or add an additional site/supervisor during their practicum experience. Students must follow the procedures laid out for the listed in the Practicum Site and Supervisor Change Procedures document.
Practicum Site and Supervisor Change Procedures