School Counseling Supervisor Module
Overview of School Counseling Program
We hope that you will consider serving as a site supervisor for Liberty University's School Counseling Program Practicum/Internship candidates.
Qualifications and Training for Site Supervisors
In order to be eligible to serve as a counseling site supervisor you must meet the following qualifications:
- Hold a minimum of a master's degree in counseling or a related profession with equivalent qualifications
- Hold appropriate professional, state-recognized licenses and/or certifications (e.g., for a school setting you must hold a license/certification as a school counselor, for other counseling settings you must have an appropriate license/certification in counseling)
- Have a minimum of three years of professional experience in the counseling profession (at least two years of school counseling experience is required for internship site supervisors).
- Currently working in a counseling setting
- Have a knowledge of Liberty University's School Counseling program requirements as outlined on the School Counseling Home Page
- Have appropriate training in counselor supervision, which you can obtain through:
- Liberty's Counselor Supervision Training Module or
- Documenting previous training using the correct form below.
If you would like to be considered to serve as a counseling site supervisor please complete the following form:
Approved Supervisors for Practicum
Examples of Supervisors
- Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW)
- Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC)
- Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT)
- Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC)
- Licensed Psychologist (LP) – a psychologist that earned a doctoral degree in Psychology (Psy. D.)
- Doctorate degrees that are not in the counseling field or are unaccredited
- Licensed Master Social Worker (LMSW) – with the only exception of the macro- or clinical- designations in the state of Michigan.
- Limited Licensed Professional Counselor (LLPC)
- Master of Divinity
- Pastoral Counselors
- School Counselors
- Supervisors who are not licensed in the same state as the practicum site.
Please review the Association for Counselor Education and Supervision (ACES) Best Practices in Clinical Supervision.
Liberty's faculty will assess potential practicum/internship counselor supervisors for the required experience and credentials as required by the Virginia Department of Education (VDOE) and the Council for Accreditation of Counseling and Related Educational Programs (CACREP).