You are here: Home > Offices > Military Affairs

Policies for Liberty University Military Students

Students and their families should be educated and aware of basic financial information. This includes knowing how your Liberty University benefits, Veterans benefits, and Tuition Assistance works and how they can affect your budgeting and financial planning.

Liberty University Policies

  • Military Withdrawals

Withdrawals due to military service will be reviewed on a case by case basis by the Liberty University Office of Military Affairs.

Veterans Benefits Policies

  • Changing Courses/Enrollment

Once classes are certified by Liberty University to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, any changes in enrollment will result in the student going into debt management with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and their benefits being stopped until such a time where the debt is reconciled.

  • Scholarships

Per the Department of Veterans Affairs, all scholarships that are designated for the sole purpose of defraying tuition and fees are to be subtracted from tuition and fee calculations before being submitted to the VA. Scholarships that can be used for more than tuition and fees, such as books and supplies, housing, etc., are not be subtracted from the calculation of tuition and fees. Therefore, tuition-and-fees-specific scholarships, discounts, and other aid must be subtracted out of total tuition and fee costs, and the remaining tuition and fees will be reported to the VA for benefit payments. Any scholarships given by Liberty University that can be used for more than tuition and fees, such as books and supplies, housing, etc., will not be subtracted from the amount of tuition and fees reported to the Department of Veterans Affairs.

  • VONAPP Requirements

According to the Department of Veterans Affairs, Liberty University is required to have a VONAPP on file indicating that Liberty University is the primary institution if the student has used their GI Bill® at another institution. As a result, our office will require a VONAPP indicating Liberty University as the primary institution when the Office of Military Affairs has identified that the student has used their GI Bill at another institution. In this event, no further certifications can be submitted until an updated VONAPP has been submitted to the VA and a copy has been submitted to the Office of Military Affairs.**

If there is no immediate evidence that a student has used their GI Bill at a different school, the certification process will proceed as normal and without delay. However, the student bears responsibility if the VA does not pay due to Liberty not being listed as the student’s primary institution on their latest VONAPP.

**As the print functionality of the VONAPP website is currently unavailable, students may not be able to retrieve a copy of the updated VONAPP that indicates Liberty University as their primary institution. As this inconvenience is beyond the student’s control, the Office of Military Affairs will accept the Confirmation page of the VONAPP in place of the actual VONAPP, along with the student’s written confirmation that Liberty University is their primary institution. The written confirmation from the student must be received before certifications can be submitted. Keep in mind that this is only for students who have previously used their GI Bill at a different school.”


  • Withdrawal

A withdrawal is processed when a student begins a course but cannot continue attending and requests to be withdrawn from the course. The deadline for withdrawing is the last day of the term for Liberty University Online students and is approximately 30 days before the end of the term for a Resident student. A student who withdraws will be assigned a non-punitive grade of “W” for the course. Since drops and withdrawals do not contribute towards the GPA, typically the U. S. Department of Veterans Affairs will only pay for the time the student is enrolled (up to date of withdrawal).
The withdrawal date, in accordance with Federal guidelines, is recognized as the date the student notifies Liberty University of the intent to withdraw, either in writing or orally.

  • Grades of 'FN'

Official University Definition: Students who begin attendance, but then cease progressing toward the completion of the course will be assigned a grade of FN. If the student receives all FN's in a sub-term, the student will be subject to the Unofficial Withdrawal Procedure which includes the reduction and/or return of all financial aid.

An FN is an unofficial withdrawal due to non-attendance. In order to receive an FN, the student must have logged into the class and not attended for a specified amount of days. A student attends by logging into their class and submitting assignments.

The last date of attendance is reported to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as the withdrawal date. When a student receives a grade of FN, it must be reported to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs as a punitive grade. A punitive grade is a grade that does not count as earned credit, but is used in determining a student’s progress toward graduation requirements. Since drops and withdrawals do not contribute towards the GPA, the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs will only pay for the time the student is enrolled (up to date of withdrawal). For more information about payments for grades of FN, please contact the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, as it is ultimately their policy on how they pay.

  • Satisfactory Academic Progress

Veterans Affairs Education Benefits will not be affected due to Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) until the student is placed on Academic Suspension or Dismissal. Students who go on Academic Suspension must complete an Academic Contract per University policy in order to continue registering for courses and have courses certified for VA Benefits. Students who are on Academic Dismissal cannot register for courses; as a result, no VA Certifications can be completed. A student’s GPA has no effect on VA Benefits. For more information on SAP, please go to the Financial Aid Policies web page.

  • Tuition Assistance & Veterans Benefits

Per the 2014 Department of Defense Memorandum of Understanding, federal Tuition Assistance and Veterans Affairs benefits can only be used for the same course if the Tuition Assistance (TA) funding does not pay the total amount of tuition. GI Bill® funding can only be used to pay the remaining balance between the amount of funding from Tuition Assistance and 100% of the tuition charged by the university.

Service members who qualify may use GI Bill benefits concurrently with federal Tuition Assistance through the Top Up option. The Top-Up policy defined below may only be used by the Chapter 30 Montgomery GI Bill. The Top Up option enables active duty service members and certain reservists to receive from the VA those tuition costs that exceed or are not authorized in the amount of TA provided to the service member by his or her military branch. The concurrent use of GI Bill benefits and TA will not exceed 100 percent of the actual costs of tuition.

If a student will not be receiving any TA for a specific course, and they wish to utilize full Veterans Affairs benefits, they will need to email to request an enrollment certification for their course(s). If the Office of Military Affairs does not receive a request, we will assume Tuition Assistance is being used for that course. Students should keep in mind that Active Duty students and their spouses are not eligible to receive BAH from their GI Bill benefits.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

  • WAVE Verification

If a student is receiving chapters 30, 1606 or 1607 veterans benefits, they will use the Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) or call the toll free Interactive Voice Response telephone line at (877) VA-ECERT (877-823-2378) to verify their attendance. If the student is receiving Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Ch. 33), DEA (Ch. 35) or VEAP (Ch. 32) benefits, they don't need to verify their attendance.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at

NOTE: The WAVE and IVR systems do not update account information instantly. Instead, verifications and other submissions are stored and processed manually.
If WAVE does not reflect the student’s current enrollment status, it is most likely because the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs has not processed the current enrollment certification (VA Form 22-1999). The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs is often overwhelmed with enrollments each semester and it takes at least 8-12 weeks to process everyone's enrollments and changes.

Tuition Assistance Policies

  • Tuition Assistance does not pay for fees unless a base education office or branch service portal specifies on a TA authorization form or request that they are willing to do so.
  • Students utilizing Tuition Assistance will no longer receive an extended financial check in option. For students using military Tuition Assistance, the Financial Check-In deadline is based on their last term of enrollment. However, if a student is in multiple sub-terms they must secure funding for the first sub-term they are enrolled in order to not be dropped from their courses.
  • Students will be recouped for grades that are not deemed successful. The following grades are acceptable and will not be recouped:
    • Undergraduate: C grade or higher
    • Graduate: B grade or higher (- and + will be treated as just a letter grade).

Military Deployment

  • Liberty University is proud to serve those that serve and protect our nation. When you are faced with a military deployment or unexpected duty, we have a process in place to assist you. If you find that your duty may have an impact on your academic progress, it is important that you contact us as soon as possible so that we may help you through this process, both before and after your deployment.

GoArmyEd Policies

  • Registration / Requesting TA

Army students who request Tuition Assistance though the GoArmyEd portal must always request TA through the portal before contacting an academic advisor to register for courses. The exceptions to this rule are students who are taking intensives, internships or residential courses. If a student is taking any one of those three courses, then they must register for courses before requesting TA through the GoArmyEd portal.

  • Withdrawal

If a resident student uses GoArmyEd Tuition Assistance, he or she will need to withdraw from a class by either emailing the Registrar’s Office to inform them that they would like to withdraw from the course, or by filling out the Registrar's Office Course Withdrawal form

After submitting the withdrawal request to the Registrar’s Office, a resident student must then log onto the GoArmyEd portal and request a withdrawal on the portal. This step must be completed in order to prevent potential problems with Tuition Assistance. 

If an online student uses GoArmyEd Tuition Assistance, they will need to withdraw from their course on the GoArmyEd portal. Their withdrawal will then automatically be sent to Liberty University, and we will process their request. If they do not request a withdrawal through the GoArmyEd portal first, then their withdrawal will not be processed and they will either be assigned a grade of FN or F; both of which will affect a student's GPA.