Online Foreign Language Lab: Tutorials FAQ
The Online Foreign Language Lab (OFLL) offers free one-on-one foreign language tutorials for students enrolled in Liberty University Online (LUO) or Liberty University en Español (LUE) courses. The OFLL offers tutoring in Chinese, English as a Second Language (ESL), German, and Spanish.
The list of frequently asked questions below explains the dynamics of a tutorial and what to expect when you schedule your appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is a tutorial?
- It is an opportunity to have an experienced tutor help you understand and learn more about the structure, grammar, interpretation, nuances, and cultural background of the language, and it provides practical listening and speaking skills development.
Do I need an appointment?
- Yes, you must request an appointment prior to the session’s start time.
How do I get an appointment?
Who can use the OFLL’s tutoring services?
- Any LUO or LUE student may use the OFLL’s tutoring services.
Does it cost anything?
- No, there is no cost for receiving tutoring services.
Who are the tutors?
- The tutors are native speakers or have native speaking ability. They are carefully screened, trained, and evaluated on an ongoing basis by the OFLL administration.
How much help will the tutors give me?
- The OFLL tutors are trained in techniques that enable you to learn necessary language skills—they will not complete any coursework for you.
What if the tutor tells me something different than my professor?
- Tutors respect professors' expertise and will never question a professor's instructions, evaluate a professor's teaching, or speculate about how an assignment should be graded.
- If an OFLL tutor has a question about a professor's guidelines or standards, then he or she will talk to that professor for clarification and to understand how to serve that professor's needs more effectively.
- The OFLL is to be a classroom aid, not a hindrance!
(NOTE: Our purpose is to work in conjunction with our highly qualified language professors, and we will not contradict their standards or requirements in any way.)
Where are tutorials held?
- Tutorials are held virtually through either MSN Messenger or Skype.
What materials do I need?
- You will need a computer, webcam, microphone and speakers (usually included with the computer), and either an MSN or Skype account.
- Have all study materials (textbooks, CDs, handouts, assignment instructions, etc.) readily available.
For more information, please email email@example.com.