Army (Active Duty, Reserve & National Guard) Tuition Assistance
How to Enroll (GoArmyEd)
Applying for State TA (Virginia Army National Guard)
GoArmyEd (GAE) Tuition Assistance covers up to $250 per credit hour and is capped at $4,000 per military fiscal year. Courses must be requested on the GoArmyEd portal within 60 days of the start of the term to secure funding. Funding requests made after the start of the course will not be approved.
The GAE portal is used for Army Active Duty, Reserve and National Guard soldiers to request Federal TA. Virginia Army National Guard soldiers who wish to request State TA should reference our VaARNG section below.
Additional Eligibility Requirements as of:
1 October 2014
- All courses that begin after 1 October 2014 must be requested through GoArmyEd prior to the start date of the course. If funding has not been approved before the course start date, any subsequent funding requests submitted by the student will be processed as student-funded.
1 January 2014
- Soldiers will not be eligible to use TA until successfully completing one year after graduating Advanced Individual Training (AIT), Officer Candidate School (OCS) or Basic Officer Leaders Course (BOLC).
- Students will be restricted to 16 credit hours per year.
- Soldiers are limited to 130 credit hours to complete a Bachelor’s Degree and 39 credit hours to complete a Master’s Degree.
- Soldiers cannot use TA for a second higher level degree until completion of 10 years of service.
- This requirement does not apply if TA did not pay for any portion of the student's undergraduate degree.
- Soldier cannot be funded for a second equivalent degree (i.e. no second Bachelor’s or Master’s degree).
- All Courses must be part of an approved degree plan.
- TA cannot be used for professional degrees (i.e. PhD, MD, JD).
- The policy for not allowing TA for Soldiers who are flagged for APFT/Height/Weight will continue.
- Read student questions and answers related to the new policy changes.
Note: Liberty University does not determine eligibility for Tuition Assistance. The above noted items were received from the U.S. Army. Please contact your ESO to determine your full eligibility requirements.
Back to top
How to Enroll
Step 1: Complete the Admissions Check list and apply for Financial Aid.
Step 2: Complete Registration on GoArmyEd Portal
- Go to www.goarmyed.com and log onto portal
- Select "Request TA"
- Under “School” select ‘Liberty University’ (if it is not automatically selected for you)
- Under “Subject” place the subject code in the box (i.e. MATH, ENGL, BIBL, etc)
- Under “Catalog Number” enter the three digit number for the course (i.e. ‘101’ for ENGL 101 or ‘220’ for GOVT 220)
- If you are having difficulty finding a course, try leaving the “Catalog Number” field blank.
- Under “Start Date Between” enter the date span that will include the start date of your course.
- Select “Next”. (You do not need to put in a course number - leave this blank.)
- Choose the course you want to enroll in by selecting “Request Class”
- Select “Process Request”
Step 3: Complete Financial Check-In
Financial Check-In is the final step that completes the online registration process. Once you have successfully completed Financial Check-In, the online registration process is complete.
Please do not complete Financial Check-In until you receive a confirmation email from the Office of Military Affairs indicating your TA has been processed.
To complete Financial Check-In:
- Go to www.liberty.edu
- Click My LU Sign In
- Click ASIST (under My Access)
- Click Student
- Click Financial Check-in
Back to top
Applying for State Tuition Assistance (Virginia Army National Guard)
Step 1: Apply for State TA.
To request State TA, Virginia Army National Guard soldiers must go to the Virginia National Guard website. Click link to "Request State Tuition Assistance Online."
- Deadline for Fall semester: 1-Jul
- Deadline for Spring semester: 1-Nov
- Deadline for Summer semester: 1-Apr
Step 2: The Education Service Office (ESO) at Ft. Pickett will send the Office of Military Affairs a TA Roster for the semester.
- If you applied late or were not on the original roster sent to Liberty University for the semester, Ft. Pickett will send us an update.
- Please note: Ft. Pickett might send you a copy of your approved TA form but we have been advised by Ft. Pickett not to accept them. We must wait for an update sent from Ft. Pickett.
- The Office of Military Affairs will post the TA to your student account and send you an email to your Liberty University email address.
- The Office of Military Affairs will post the authorized amount of TA to your student account minus any scholarships.
Back to top