A.A.-B.S. in Education

Associate of Arts in Education (A.A.)

Bachelor of Science in Education (B.S.-ED)

A.A. in Education or Early Childhood Education

  • 60 credit hour program
  • 21 hours in the Education major
  • This program is a non-licensure program and will not lead to state licensure in and of itself
  • No practicum
  • Does not lead to ACSI certification
  • Prepares student for B.S. in Education

B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies
(Elementary, Special Education, or Early Childhood Education)

  • 120 credit hour program
  • 36 hours in the Education major
  • This program is a non-licensure program and will not lead to state licensure in and of itself
  • Required practicum
  • Leads to ACSI certification
  • Many colleges have merged their B.S. and M.S. programs into a 5-year licensure program. A master's degree is required to renew licensure in some states.
  • Prepares a student for M.A.T. in elementary or special education
  • The program is not designed for students who want to pursue a secondary specialization because students will need to focus on one or two areas of content, and this degree does not provide for that

EDUC 390 Practicum

  • Is a 16-week course.
  • Is required for ACSI certification.
  • The 90 FE hours should be spread throughout the entire semester.  Student should be active in placement throughout the entire semester.
  • Under the direction of the mentor teacher, the student must write a week of lesson plans and teach full-time for 5 consecutive days.
  • Must be paired with a mentor teacher who has at least three years of experience and holds a current teaching license.
  • Hours must be in PK-12 grade range. – could be younger for early childhood, but must be an instructional setting (placements that will NOT be approved: day care, day camp, summer camp, learning center, etc.)
  • Hours must all be in the same classroom/setting, so substitute teaching hours may only be used if it is a long term substituting placement.
  • Requires a background check to be ordered through ADB. NO exceptions.
  • Candidates will not be “placed” by LU, except for in the schools listed by Liberty.
  • Letter from LU can be provided, if required by school.
  • For school contracts/agreements email – xplace@liberty.edu


  • Home school teachers
  • Christian school teachers not seeking licensure
  • Other education careers that may not need state licensure
  • Leads to teaching licensure when coupled with the M.A.T.

Association of Christian Schools International (ACSI) Certification

  • ACSI certification is necessary for any educator who wants to teach in an ACSI-accredited school
  • Students completing Liberty University Online’s BS in Education will be eligible for ACSI certification in Elementary Education or Elementary with Special Education (if the student completes the Special Education courses)
  • In order to obtain this certification through Liberty’s licensure office:
  • The student must complete the B.S. in Education/ Interdisciplinary Studies through Liberty.
  • The student must take EDUC 305 through Liberty (ACSI certification requires a course in Christian philosophy of education). There is a special option available for those who have completed the ACSI philosophy credential.
  • The student must submit the ACSI application form
  • Student must complete the form and email, fax, or mail the form to acsi@liberty.edu for approval
  • The student must also include a copy of his/her transcript from ASIST, showing the completed B.S. in Education/Interdisciplinary Studies.
  • There is NO certification application fee for students applying for ACSI certification through Liberty’s licensure office
  • PLEASE NOTE: There is an alternate option for receiving this certification where the student requests the certification directly through ACSI. If the student does this, he/she will be required to complete student teaching, as well as to submit additional documentation including transcripts and a $50 application fee. Because Liberty is ACSI-approved, it is typically in the student’s best interest to seek certification through Liberty’s licensure office.

Other licensure options

  • Undergraduate program on campus (UGuide)
  • MAT program online (Advising Guide) with one-week intensives on campus