GATE 2: Admission to the Teacher Licensure Program (TLP)
What do I have to do to apply to the Teacher Licensure Program?
You must submit your Gate 2 application to LiveText. Gate 2 Livetext Application Requirements include:
- Submit paperwork for 30-hour practicum (introduced/associated with EDUC 125)
- Complete autobiographical sketch (assignment associated with EDUC 220/221)
- Submit clearance of Background Check/Fingerprinting
- Maintain satisfactory conduct
- Submit passing scores (entry level/probation status) for the math section of Praxis I (taken before 1/1/2014) OR the math section of Praxis Core (taken after 1/1/2014)
- Submit passing scores for VCLA
- Submit course history printout from ASIST - evidence of 2.5 minimum GPA (cumulative)
How do I apply to the Teacher Licensure Program?
When do I have to apply for the Teacher Licensure Program?
- BEFORE you may REGISTER for EDUC 225/226 OR EDUC 235/236 OR EDUC 240 or KINE 245, the Gate 2 application must be submitted and accepted with at least probationary status! This means, you must have Praxis I/Praxis Core and VCLA requirements completed well in advance of submitting your application. Testing involves about a two month or more turn-around time to receive your scores, so plan accordingly! More information about these tests.
- EDUC 225/226 or EDUC 235/236 OR EDUC 240 or KINE 245 may NOT be taken prior to TLP admission (meaning you have gotten confirmation back from the Gate 2 contact that you have been admitted on at least probationary status, not that you have merely submitted the application)!
How will I know if I have been accepted and what do I do when I am accepted?
- After you submit the Gate 2 application to Livetext, you must wait for it to be assessed and processed (this can take up to 14 days). You should check back in Livetext to see if you have been "fully accepted" or "accepted on probation." You should also receive an email stating that you are fully accepted or accepted with probation. You should print the rubric in Livetext OR you can print the email you receive. Take this documentation to DH 1150 to show it to the Undergraduate Secretary. The Undergraduate Secretary will then initial a prerequisite form for you so you can then register for EDUC 225/226 or EDUC 235/236 or EDUC 240 or KINE 245.
What does it mean to be "fully accepted" to the Teacher Licensure Program?
- This means that you have met all requirements for Gate 2 to enter the Teacher Licensure Program. You have met the Praxis I/Praxis Core and VCLA requirement for Virginia cut scores (or are exempt from the Praxis I/Praxis Core requirement due to SAT/ACT scores), you have received FULL clearance from the background/fingerprint/child abuse checks, and you have met all other requirements listed above.
- In order to stay fully accepted in the TLP, you must maintain a 2.5 GPA or above all semesters you attend the university.
- Being fully accepted to the program typically means that you should be able to register electronically in ASIST each semester rather than having to manually register through prerequisite forms. ASIST and LiveText are not directly connected, so some candidates may still experience some delay in being able to register electronically in ASIST.
What does it mean to be "accepted on probation" to the Teacher Licensure Program?
- "Acceptance with Probation" means that you are missing a requirement to be fully admitted to the program (usually this means that you passed Praxis I Math or Praxis Core Math with probation scores OR this means your background/fingerprinting/child abuse clearances are in progress but are not fully cleared yet). If you are accepted with probation, you will not be able to register electronically in ASIST for your EDUC courses. To sign up for your EDUC courses, take documentation of your Gate 2 status to DH 1150 to show it to the Undergraduate Secretary. The Undergraduate Secretary will then initial a prerequisite form for you so you can then register for EDUC 225/226 or EDUC 235/236 or EDUC 240 or KINE 245.
When must I update my status from "probation" to "full acceptance?"
- PLEASE NOTE: You may NOT register for EDUC 360 or any other 400 level courses until you have been fully accepted to the Teacher Licensure Program. This means that you must update your status from probation to full acceptance before you can register for EDUC 360 or any other 400 level EDUC course.
How can I change my status from "probation" to "full acceptance?"
- Elementary and Special Education candidates: Changing your status from "probation" to "full acceptance" will occur when you obtain successful completion of six hours of Math with a grade of C or above in courses Math 117 or higher (Elementary and Special Education)
- Comprehensive and Content candidates: Changing your status from "probation" to "full acceptance" will occur when you obtain successful completion of Math 115 or higher with a grade of C or above.
- For more information about the licensure tests (such as Praxis I, Praxis Core, or VCLA), please see the Licensure Testing webpage.
Who can I contact if I have questions about the Gate 2 application?
- You can come to DH 1150 to ask questions about the Gate 2 application or you can contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For more detailed information about the Gate timeline, please view the Gate Timeline.