International Office

Current Students

Maintaining Status

Follow us on:

Facebook   Twitter

Traveling Outside the United States

Before You Leave:

1. Meet with your International Student Advisor to get your I-20 signed.

  • You must have a travel signature on page 3 of your I-20. If you have left the U.S. and did not have your I-20 signed contact your FSA at (434) 592-4118. They will make arrangements with you so that you have a signed I-20 to reenter to the U.S.
  • When a International Student Advisor signs your I-20 the signature means that:
    • You are in F-1 status
    • You are enrolled in accordance with regulations
    • You are permitted to return to Liberty University

2. Check your visa expiration date.

  • You always need a valid student F-1 visa to re-enter the United States. If your visa has expired, you should include a visit to the U.S. consulate in your travel plans. Google “U.S. embassy in (name of your home country)” for information on that process and what you need to bring with you from Liberty for the interview.


  • If you have been issued an electronic I-94 then your record will be updated electronically when you cross the border and you will have access to your I-94 record through the Customs and Border Patrol website
  • It is recommended that you also take along a copy of your transcript (official or unofficial) and
    student ID card.
  • If you are Canadian or on Optional Practical Training the FSA travel signature is only good
    for one year.
  • If for any reason you will need an I-20 shipped outside of the United States, you as the student will be required to cover the International Shipping charges.