When autocomplete options are available, use up and down arrows to review and enter to select.

International Student Options after Graduation

As an international student, you have several career and life options after you graduate from one of Liberty University’s programs. You may choose to stay in the States and pursue practical training, job opportunities, or continue your education. Additionally, you may desire to return to your home country and utilize your degree to positively affect your community. We are here to assist you in deciding on the best option for your future!

Be sure to contact the Career Center for assistance with your resume, tips on interviewing for a job, and career counseling options to assist you in finding jobs that utilize the training you received in your degree program. This is a great resource for you as you navigate postgraduate life.

Keep in mind that you must make your plans well before graduation and let your International Student Advisor (ISA) know so your record can be accurately maintained.

Optional Practical Training (OPT)

Optional Practical Training (OPT) gives you an additional 12 months in the United States for work authorization in your field of study.

If you are studying in a field of science, technology, engineering, or math (STEM), you may be eligible for a 24 month STEM OPT Extension.

Continue Your Education

Continue your studies in a graduate program at Liberty University, or continue at a different school and transfer your I-20

Apply for a Different Visa Status

Your F1 status is only valid as long as you are a student, so you may want to consider applying for a different visa status.

Each semester, the Office of International Student Services holds a workshop led by an immigration lawyer, Mr. Art Serratelli of Serratelli Mijal PLLC. He explains the options available to students after graduation. Look for an email from the International Student Center announcing the workshop each semester.

Return to Your Home Country After Graduation

You may decide to return to your home country after you graduate. This is an excellent opportunity for you to use your new degree to start making a positive impact on your community.

Your F1 student status allows you to remain inside the U.S. for 60 days prior to the end date on your I-20. Your International Student Advisor (ISA) will match your I-20 end date to the conferral date of your degree. Submit your Completion Form to your ISA before you leave the U.S. so they can close out your SEVIS record. 

Contact your International Student Advisor for more information by calling (434) 592-4118 or emailing MyStatus@liberty.edu


(434) 592-4118

(434) 522-0430 (fax)

Chat Live


8 a.m.-5 p.m.

Chat Live
Request Info
Apply Now
Visit Liberty