You are here: Home > Offices > Military Affairs

Survivors' and Dependents' Education Assistance

(Chapter 35 GI Bill®)

Benefit Summary:

Below is a snapshot of how the Department of Veterans Affairs processes Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance GI Bill® benefits. To fully determine your eligibility for this benefit, please contact the Department of Veteran Affairs directly at (888) 442-4551.

  • The Survivors’ and Dependents’ Education Assistance GI Bill provides assistance to dependents of military service members with a service-connected, permanent, and total disability or who were MIA, POW, or died in connection with a service-related disability.
  • Students are paid directly by the VA on a monthly basis while attending courses. See Pay Rates for more information.

Quick Links:

How to use your Dependents' Eduaction Assistance GI Bill:

Step 1
Complete Veterans Affairs paperwork

Go to the VONAPP website and fill out the appropriate form (see below). 

  • 22-5490 - Use if you are applying for Veterans education benefits for the first time.
  • 22-5495 - Use if you have used your benefits at another institution and would like to transfer to Liberty University as your primary institution or if it has been over a year since your last certification.  You will also need to use this form if you are changing the degree level you are pursuing.

You may want to print a copy of this document for your records. To verify you have successfully submitted your form to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, a confirmation number will appear on the bottom of each page of the form you print out. 

Step 2
Submit at least one VA document to the Office of Military Affairs

Once you fill out the VONAPP and submit it to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, you will need to submit at least one VA document to our office to allow us to certify your enrollment. Any one document from the following list is acceptable:

  • Veterans Online Application (VONAPP)
  • Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
  • VA Award Letter
  • Copy of your eBenefits page

Please note:

  • This document must include at least your full name in order for us to verify it belongs to you. If you have a common name, it may also be necessary for the document to include other identifying information (such as your social security number or home address). Please always include your Student ID on information submitted to our office to ensure we can process your document for you without delay.
  • You must inform our office that you are using the Chapter 35 benefit in order for us to certify your enrollment to the VA. You may write the information on your document, notify us by phone, or email our office.
  • The VA File number is required for your certifications to be submitted to the Department of Veterans Affairs. If this information is not included on your VA documentation, you may contact our office directly to give us this information. Because you are using Chapter 35 benefits, the File Number should be the Social Security Number of the Veteran through whom you are receiving benefits.
  • You may submit your documentation and information to the Office of Military Affairs by:

Step 3
Registration and Certification

Once we receive all required documentation and you have enrolled in courses, the Office of Military Affairs will submit an enrollment certification (22-1999) to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. This process typically takes 3-5 business days, but may take longer during peak enrollment periods. Once your courses have been certified, you will receive an email to your Liberty email account indicating the courses and dates that were reported to the VA.  On average it will take 6 weeks for the VA to process your certifications.

Once the VA has processed the enrollment certification, they will begin issuing your monthly payments to you directly for your courses. These monthly payments are issued at the beginning of each month for the previous month of enrollment.

Step 5
Complete Financial Check-In

Please remember that arrangements for the full payment of your tuition and fees must be made during the completion of your Financial Check-In. Within Financial Check-In, qualifying students have the option of using federal financial aid or payment plans.

Online students: The military payment plan is available through Financial Check-In for online students using Chapter 35 GI Bill benefits.

Residential students: The deferred payment plan is available through Financial Check-In for residential students using Chapter 35 GI Bill benefits.

Please review the information on our Financial Check-In Guide for more information.

Step 5
Keep the VA Updated on Any Changes

You are required to keep the Department of Veterans Affairs updated on any changes made to your benefit. Such changes include but are not limited to:

  • Changing degree levels
  • Changing your primary school of attendance

Failure to maintain the accuracy of this information with the VA may result in delayed or denied payment from the VA.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at