Top Plays Coach Green Postgame Press Conference
Ashtyn Baker Postgame Press Conference Prior to tipoff of Monday evening's matchup with North Florida, Liberty honored Keyen Green and Kierra Johnson-Graham during its annual Senior Night ceremony. A junior then stole the show as Ashtyn Baker's career-high 26 points highlighted a 76-54 victory over North Florida during the final regular-season game at the Vines Center.
Liberty improves to 16-11 overall and 9-5 in ASUN play after avenging a Jan. 27 loss at North Florida with its fourth consecutive victory. The Lady Flames shot a season-high 58.5 percent (31-of-53) from the field and knocked down eight triples on their way to clinching a home game during the ASUN Women's Basketball Championship quarterfinal round. Liberty remains in a tie for second place in the ASUN standings, along with Jacksonville and North Alabama.
North Florida is now 14-14 overall and 7-8 in the ASUN after suffering its third straight loss. The Ospreys hit nine three-pointers but shot just 35.7 percent (20-of-56) overall on the night and committed 14 turnovers which led to 19 Liberty points.
Box Score Highlights Liberty Individuals: Ashtyn Baker - 26 points, 4 rebounds; Emily Lytle - 18 points, 6 rebounds; Keyen Green - 9 points, 3 steals; Mya McMillian - 7 points, 7 rebounds.
North Florida Individuals: Victoria Patrick - 12 points, 3-7 3FG; Janesha Green - 10 points, 8 assists; Rhetta Moore - 10 points.
Key Team Stats: In a battle between the ASUN's top two rebounding teams, Liberty pulled down 32 boards to UNF's 27. The Lady Flames have now won the rebounding battle in seven straight games since being outrebounded at North Florida on Jan. 27. Liberty more than doubled up North Florida in points in the paint, 42-18.
Turning Point The lead changed hands four times during the early-going. Liberty then seized control of the game with an 18-0 run spanning the first and second quarters. Baker contributed seven points during the surge, while Green added six as the Ospreys went 7:31 between made baskets.
Game Summary First Quarter • Ashtyn Baker scored nine first-quarter points, including the final seven tallies of a 13-0 Liberty run to end the period. Liberty doubled up UNF during the first 10 minutes, 20-10, shooting 57.1 percent (8-of-14) from the field and forcing seven Osprey turnovers.
Second Quarter • Liberty also scored the second period's first five points, finishing the aforementioned 18-0 run with a 25-10 advantage. The lead eventually reached 19 during a stanza where the Lady Flames shot 66.7 percent (10-of-15) from the floor.
• The Lady Flames owned a 44-30 halftime cushion, led by the duo of Baker (17 points) and Emily Lytle (13 points).
Third Quarter • Baker added nine more points to her total during the third quarter, helping the Lady Flames build a 65-41 lead.
Fourth Quarter • For the second straight game, Asia Todd knocked down a pair of three-pointers during the final period to close out a convincing victory.
Notes and Nuggets • Baker's 26 points, all of which came during the first three quarters, eclipsed her previous career high of 21 points. She averaged 21.0 ppg during the Lady Flames' three-game homestand.
• Lytle has now scored in double figures during six of the last seven games. Her two triples on Monday give her 15 career three-pointers in five matchups against North Florida.
• Green passed Kristal Tharp for 11th place on Liberty's all-time scoring list, finishing the night with 1,165 career points. She also tied a career high with three steals.
• Playing the day before her 20th birthday, McMillian paced all players with seven rebounds.
• Liberty's 22-point win marked its largest margin of victory ever in an ASUN game, eclipsing its 20-point victory during Saturday's matchup with Stetson.
• Liberty improved to 3-2 all-time against North Florida, with the home team winning all five games. All five contests have been decided by 12 points or more.
• The Lady Flames are now 122-2 all-time under Carey Green when shooting 50 percent or better from the field, including 4-0 this season.
• The Lady Flames are now 307-83 at the Vines Center since playing their first game at the facility on Dec. 7, 1990. The team will move next door to Liberty Arena for the 2020-21 season, but not before hosting at least one ASUN Women's Basketball Championship game at the Vines Center. The quarterfinal contest will take place on March 7 at a time to be determined.
• As part of the final regular-season contest at the Vines Center, Liberty honored the program's first two head coaches (Brenda Bonheim - 1975-77 and Linda Farver - 1977-86) during an on-court presentation between the first and second quarters.
Up Next The Lady Flames will close out the 2019-20 regular season with a pair of road games, beginning Saturday at Lipscomb (7-21, 4-11 ASUN). Tipoff is slated for 4:30 p.m. Eastern inside Allen Arena. Liberty is 4-0 all-time versus the Bisons, including a 64-60 overtime victory on Jan. 18 at the Vines Center.
Date: Saturday, February 29, 2020 Location: Nashville, Tenn. (Allen Arena) TV: ESPN+ Radio: LFSN Radio (90.9 FM The Light Lynchburg) Tipoff: 4:30 p.m. Eastern
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram