Top Plays Coach Green Postgame Press Conference Keyen Green Postgame Press Conference Bridgette Rettstatt Postgame Press Conference
Chattanooga's Abbey Cornelius tallied 15 of her game-high 21 points during the first quarter of Monday evening's matchup with Liberty at the Vines Center. Nine of her points came during the visiting Mocs' 16-0 run to end the opening period, propelling her team to a 71-54 triumph.
Liberty (1-2), which went scoreless for an 8:55 stretch spanning the first and second quarters, never got closer than seven points down the rest of the way. Despite a season-high 12 points from Keyen Green, the Lady Flames lost their second straight home game to a SoCon opponent and fell to Chattanooga for the second year in a row.
Chattanooga (1-2) picked up its first win of the 2019-20 season as four Mocs scored in double figures and the visitors knocked down 11 three-pointers.
Box Score Highlights Liberty Individuals: Keyen Green – 12 points, 7 rebounds, 3 blocks; Bridgette Rettstatt – 11 points, 5 rebounds, 3 steals; Emily Lytle – 11 points; Ria Gulley – 6 assists, 5 rebounds.
Chattanooga Individuals: Abbey Cornelius – 21 points, 7 rebounds, 8-11 FG; Eboni Williams – 16 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists, 3 steals; Bria Dial, 13 points, 7 rebounds, 4-8 3FG; Lakelyn Bouldin – 13 points, 7 assists, 5 rebounds.
Key Team Stats: Chattanooga shot well from the field (46 percent, 23-of-50) and three-point range (44 percent, 11-of-25). The Lady Flames shot just 20 percent (3-of-15) from beyond the arc and only 58.3 percent (7-of-12) from the foul line. Liberty finished with a 35-33 edge in rebounding and doubled up the Mocs inside the paint, 32-16.
Turning Point Liberty led 10-6 after Mya McMillian's layup at 6:27 of the opening quarter. However, the Lady Flames' next points did not come for 8:55, until Bridgette Rettstatt opened the second quarter scoring with a three-pointer.
During that span, Chattanooga reeled off 16 unanswered points, aided by a trio of three-pointers. Meanwhile, Liberty missed six straight field goal attempts and committed eight turnovers during its extended offensive drought.
Game Summary First Quarter • Liberty opened the game with a 10-6 advantage, as five different players scored baskets during the first three and a half minutes.
• Sparked by Cornelius' 15 first-quarter points, Chattanooga closed the opening period with a 16-0 run. UTC owned a 22-10 advantage after 10 minutes, shooting 8-of-11 (72.7 percent) from the field with four triples.
Second Quarter • Liberty hit a pair of second quarter three-pointers, including the first triple attempted by Nenna Lindstrom in her Lady Flames debut.
• However, Chattanooga nailed two triples of its own to keep the Lady Flames at arm's length. The Mocs took a 33-22 lead into the locker room after making 12-of-21 (57.1 percent) of their first-half field goal attempts.
Third Quarter • The visitors' lead reached 16 points (42-26) after a Cornelius putback layup with 7:07 remaining in the stanza.
• Lytle scored five points during the remainder of the period, helping Liberty trim its deficit to 48-36 heading to the fourth quarter.
Fourth Quarter • A Green three-point play midway through the fourth quarter keyed a 7-0 Liberty run, trimming Chattanooga's lead to single digits (57-48).
• That's as close as Liberty got, as Williams' strong final period (10 points, 5 rebounds) helped Chattanooga close out its first victory of the season.
Notes and Nuggets • Liberty outrebounded its third straight opponent to begin the 2019-20 season and its 16th straight foe, dating back to last season.
• The Lady Flames dropped to 1-4 against SoCon opponents over the last two seasons.
• Green finished with a season-high 12 points in a season-high 19 minutes played. In the process, the redshirt junior climbed to No. 22 on Liberty's all-time scoring chart with 814 career points.
• Rettstatt scored in double figures for the third consecutive game to open the season and hit her first three-pointer of 2019-20. • After missing the season's first two games due to injury, Lindstrom contributed three points, one assist and one steal in her Liberty debut.
• Monday marked Chattanooga's first-ever visit to the Vines Center.
Up Next Liberty will take to the road on Friday, traveling across the Commonwealth for a matchup with Virginia Tech (2-0). Tipoff is slated for 7 p.m. at Cassell Coliseum.
Date: Friday, November 15, 2019 Location: Blacksburg, Va. (Cassell Coliseum) TV: ACC Network Extra Radio: LFSN Radio (90.9 FM The Light Lynchburg) Tipoff: 7 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram