Denay Griffin drove in two runs on Friday.
Liberty opened its 2020 home schedule with a 6-1 victory over the visiting Hofstra Pride, Friday at Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball Stadium.
The Lady Flames extended their winning streak to three games, improving to 4-11 on the season. Hofstra falls to 2-8, including 0-2 at this weekend's Liberty Softball Classic.
Liberty has won each of its last 13 home games, outscoring opponents 58-14 during that streak which began on April 2, 2019. The Lady Flames have won their home opener each of the six years that Liberty Softball Stadium has been open, improving their all-time record in home openers to 25-10.
Scoring Summary Liberty – 2nd INNING – Autumn Bishop doubles, Sweat advances, Hudson scores, 1-0
Liberty – 2nd INNING – Griffin singles, Autumn Bishop and Sweat score, 3-0
Liberty – 3rd INNING – Amber Bishop homers, Canetto and Gibson score, 6-0
Hofstra – 5th INNING – Pietryzkoski singles, Ioppolo advances, McKevitt scores, 6-1
Notable Numbers - Liberty recorded a season-high 11 hits for the second game in a row, and held Hofstra to just three hits. The Pride committed three errors compared to one for the Lady Flames.
- Karlie Keeney (3-4) earned her second straight win, allowing one unearned run on three hits. Keeney tied her career high with seven strikeouts. - Nikki Mullin (1-3) drew the loss, yielding three runs on four hits, striking out one in two innings pitched. Mackenzie Suto gave up three run in 1/3 of an inning before Natalie Grubczak tossed the final 3 2/3 innings scorels.. - Amber Bishop batted 3-for-4 with a homer and three RBI, her third straight game with a home run. Autumn Bishop batted 2-for-3 with a double, one RBI and one run scored, while Caroline Hudson batted 2-for-4.
- Three different Pride players had one hit apiece, and Jordan Pietrzykoski's RBI single provided all of her team's scoring. Turning Point - Liberty broke through with three runs in both the second and third innings, as Amber Bishop's third-inning three-run bomb broke the game wide open at 6-0.
- Keeney retired the first 12 batters she faced before an error opened the fifth inning. Hofstra added a run on two hits in that inning before Keeney closed the door.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty now leads the all-time series against Hofstra, 2-0, as the Lady Flames downed the Pride 2-0 in 10 innings during the first game of the 2018 NCAA Columbia Regional. That was Liberty's first-ever NCAA Regional game victory. - Amber Bishop homered for the third game in a row, the second time she has done that in her career. - Amber Bishop broke Ashley Williams' (2005-08) program record for career hits, as she has collected 252 career hits.
- Autumn Bishop and Amber Bishop are now tied for third in program history with 49 career doubles each. Autumn Bishop is now tied with Kelby Allen (2012-15) for ninth in program history with 204 career hits.
- Prior to the fifth inning today, Liberty pitching had not allowed a run at Liberty Softball Stadium since the sixth inning of a 2-1 win over Longwood on May 4, 2019. Liberty had gone 27 innings without allowing a single run at home during that span.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram