Amber Bishop hit two homers against South Carolina, including a walk-off blast to give Liberty the 6-5 win.
Liberty trailed No. 6 Michigan 5-1 after four and half innings, before Amber Bishop hit a three-run homer in the fifth and later ended the game with a walk-off solo shot to lead off the seventh, sending the Lady Flames to a big win over the Wolverines 6-5 on Sunday at Carolina Softball Stadium at Beckham Field.
Liberty (2-11) snapped a seven-game winless streak, posting its second win over a Top 25 opponent this season and 11th in program history. Michigan (10-3) fell for the third game in a row to end the Gamecock Invitational with a 1-3 record this weekend.
Liberty and Michigan split a pair of meetings this weekend, as the Wolverines edged the Lady Flames 1-0 to open the Gamecock Invitational on Saturday.
At No. 6, Michigan is tied for the highest-ranked opponent Liberty has ever beaten in softball. Fittingly, Liberty's only other win against the sixth-ranked team in the nation came against then No. 6 Michigan, March 24, 2007.
Scoring Summary Michigan – 1st INNING – Allan doubles, Jimenez scores, 1-0
Michigan – 1st INNING – Skvarce singles, Allan scores, 2-0
Liberty – 1st INNING – Amber Bishop reaches on a fielder's choice, Sweat out a second, Canetto advances, Gibson scores, 2-1
Michigan – 3rd INNING – Carson homers, Allan and Gonzalez score, 5-1
Liberty – 5th INNING – Amber Bishop homers, Hudson and Canetto score, 5-4
Liberty – 6th INNING – Canetto singles, Gibson advances, McMullen scores, 5-5
Liberty – 7th INNING – Amber Bishop homers, 6-5
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit Michigan 9-6 on the game. The Lady Flames left eight runners on base while the Wolverines stranded two.
- Megan Johnson (1-3) earned her first career win, allowing five runs on six hits, walking one and striking out one. She yielded just one hit over the final four innings of the game, as Johnson retired the side in the fourth, sixth and seventh innings.
- Meghan Beaubien (5-1), an NFCA All-American in 2018, drew the loss, allowing one run in two hits in 1/3 of an inning of relief. She walked two and struck out one. Starter Chandler Dennis yielded three runs on six hits, walking two and fanning one in 4 1/3 innings. Alex Storako gave up two runs on one hit with one walk and two strikeouts in 1/13 innings of relief. - Amber Bishop went 3-for-4 with two homers, two runs scored and five RBI. It was her fourth career two-homer game, and she hit her third career walk-off home run. Kara Canetto posted her first career three-hit game, going 3-for-4 with one RBI and one run scored. Caroline Hudson batted 2-for-2 with one run scored.
- For Michigan, Julia Jimenez went 2-for-4 with a double and one run scored. Hannah Carson batted 1-for-3 with a homer, three RBI and one run scored.
Turning Point - Michigan took a 5-1 lead into the bottom of the fifth inning. With one out and two on, Storako entered the circle in relief of Dennis. After striking out Emily Sweat, Storako gave up a three-run homer to Bishop that narrowed the gap to 5-4.
- Canetto came through with a two-out RBI single in the sixth, tying the game at 5-5. After a 1-2-3 Michigan seventh inning, Bishop launched a solo shot off of Beaubien to end the game.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty now leads the all-time series against Michigan, 2-1, as the Wolverines were ranked No. 6 each time that the Lady Flames have faced them. - The Lady Flames are now 2-8 against nationally-ranked teams this season and 11-73 all-time.
- Liberty has beaten five ranked opponents in the last three years, with three of those wins coming at Carolina Softball Stadium. The Lady Flames knocked off nationally-ranked Hofstra and South Carolina to advance to the 2018 NCAA Columbia Regional.
- Amber Bishop is now ranked second in program history with 153 career RBI, trailing only Ashley Williams (168 from 2005-08). With 247 career hits, Bishop needs two more hits to tie Williams' program record.
- Amber Bishop hit two walk-off homers last year, April 6, 2019 against Stetson and April 23, 2019 against Radford.
Up Next Liberty will finish up the Gamecock Invitational with a 3 p.m. game against Elon.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram