Caroline Hudson hit her first career home run on Friday against Washington.
Liberty held a 6-5 lead over No. 1 Washington entering the bottom of the sixth before the Huskies scored five sixth-inning runs to pull of the 10-6 comeback win over the Lady Flames, Friday at Eddie C. Moore Complex.
Washington improves to 8-1 on the season, while Liberty falls to 1-7 on the campaign including 0-3 at the St. Pete/Clearwater Elite Invitational.
Liberty is now 0-5 all-time against the No. 1 team in the nation. Coming into tonight, Liberty had only scored one total run in its four previous meetings with the top-ranked team.
Scoring Summary Washington – 1st INNING – Flores doubles, Atlee scores, 1-0
Washington – 1st INNING – Klingler grounds out, Flores scores, 2-0
Washington – 2nd INNING – Flores homers, Helm scores, 4-0
Liberty– 4th INNING – Canetto singles, Amber Bishop scores, 4-1
Liberty – 4th INNING – Ruiz grounds out, Canetto scores, 4-2
Liberty – 4th INNING – Gibson singles, advances to second on the throw, Hudson scores, 4-3
Washington – 4th INNING – Klingler reaches on an error, Reynolds and Flores advance, Atlee scores, 5-3
Liberty – 5th INNING – Hudson homers, Canetto and Amber Bishop score, 6-5
Washington – 6th INNING – Klingler doubles, Reynolds, Moore and Atlee score, 8-6
Washington – 6th INNING – Lynch doubles, Allchin, Klingler score, 10-6
Notable Numbers - Washington led 10-9 in hits while Liberty committed the game's lone error. - Pat Moore (2-0) earned the win, pitching the final two innings with no hits allowed while striking out three batters. Brooke Nelson (three innings) and Gabbie Plain (two innings) both allowed three runs. - Megan Johnson (0-3) drew the loss, allowing 10 runs (nine earned) and 11 hits, walking three and striking out one. Karlie Keeney allowed one hit and struck out one in 2/3 of an inning of relief. - Baylee Klingler went 2-for-4 with two doubles, four RBI and one run scored, while Morganne Flores batted 2-for-2 with a homer, one double, three RBI and two runs scored. Taryn Atlee went 2-for-4 and scored three times.
- Liberty's 2-3-4 hitters (Amber Bishop, 2-for-4, double, two runs; Kara Canetto, 2-for-4, one RBI, one run; Caroline Hudson, 3-for-4, homer, two runs, three RBI) combined to go 7-for-12 with four RBI and six runs scored.
Turning Point - Liberty entered the fourth inning trailing 4-0 before scoring three times in the fourth. Still trailing 4-3 with two outs in the fifth, Bishop doubled and Canetto singled. Hudson then launched a three-run blast to left off of 2019 first team All-American Gabbie Plain for a 6-5 Liberty lead.
- Washington rallied for five runs in the bottom of the sixth, getting a go-ahead three-run double from Klingler and a two-out, two-run double from Lynch for more breathing room.
Beyond the Box Score - Washington now leads the all-time series, 3-0, defeating the Lady Flames for the second year in a row. - Liberty's six runs tonight were the most the Lady Flames have scored against a Top 25 team since a 10-7 loss at No. 10 Alabama on March 9, 2010.
- The Lady Flames are now 1-5 against nationally-ranked teams this season, as they have only faced two unranked opponents (at time of meeting) in 2020.
- Caroline Hudson is the first Lady Flame with a three-hit game so far this year, and her homer was the first by a Liberty player against the No. 1 ranked team since Ashley Williams homered against No. 1 Tennessee off of Monica Abbott on March 26, 2007.
- Liberty will take on the last two national champions in its next two games, facing UCLA tomorrow before taking on Florida State on Sunday. This is the first time since 2017 (Arkansas vs. Florida, Oklahoma) that a team has faced the last two national champions in back-to-back games.
- Amber Bishop hit her 49th career double tonight. She needs one more double to become the third player in program history with 50 or more career doubles.
Up Next The Lady Flames will take on defending national champion UCLA tomorrow at 11:30 a.m. UCLA is currently ranked No. 1 in the most recent DIsoftball.com national poll.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram