Sixth-seeded North Florida scored three fifth-inning runs to earn a 3-1 comeback win over No. 2 seed Liberty and advance to the title game of the 2019 ASUN Softball Championship, Saturday at FGCU Softball Complex.
UNF (30-23) earned a spot in the championship round against top-seeded Lipscomb. The Ospreys need to defeat the Bisons twice to become the first No. 6 seed to capture the ASUN Softball Championship. Liberty falls to 37-20 on the season after going 1-2 at the ASUN Tournament.
Liberty opened its time at the conference tournament with a 4-0 win over UNF on Thursday before falling to Lipscomb 3-0 yesterday and 3-1 to North Florida today.
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Erich bunts for a single, Amader scores, 1-0
UNF – 5th INNING – Cocuzza singles to center, Penrod advances to second, Woodson scores, 1-1
UNF – 5th INNING – Lower singles to center, advance to second, Cocuzza advances, Penrod scores
UNF – 5th INNING – Bryant singles to first, Lower advances to third, Cocuzza scores
Notable Numbers - North Florida outhit Liberty 9-4 for the game. The Ospreys left seven on base, while Liberty stranded four.
- UNF reliever Morgan Clausen (5-6) earned the win, striking out two in 3 2/3 innings of hitless relief. Starter Morgan Blourne pitched 3 1/3 innings, giving up one run on four hits and striking out two.
- Liberty's Julia DiMartino (18-10) drew the loss, allowing three runs on eight hits, striking out two and walking one in six innings pitched. Chase Cassady pitched one inning, fanning two while allowing one hit.
- Navia Penrod went 4-for-4 with one run scored for the Ospreys, while Dominica Cocuzza, Tiffany Lower and Rindy Bryant had one RBI each.
- Jaclyn Amader and Madison Via both went 1-for-3 with a double. Amader scored Liberty's lone run, with Alexis Erich providing the RBI.
Turning Point - Liberty got a leadoff double from Via in the third, moved her to third with a sacrifice, but was unable to score. The very next inning, Amader led off with a double before Robertson sacrificed her to third. Erich then bunted for a single, scoring Amader for a 1-0 lead. After a Deidra See single, Clausen entered the circle for UNF, retiring all 10 batters she faced.
- The Ospreys rallied with a runner on second and two outs in the fifth, getting four straight singles from Penrod, Cocuzza, Lower and Bryant to produce a 3-1 lead for UNF.
Beyond the Box Score - The last time DiMartino gave up more than one run in a single game was March 27 at Duke. She had gone 20 straight outings without yielding more than a single run in any game.
- Liberty is 13-1 against ASUN teams from Florida this season.
- Liberty was attempting to become the first team to win the ASUN Conference Softball Championship title in its first year in the conference since Jacksonville State did so in 1996.
Up Next Liberty will await word on its postseason fate. The Lady Flames entered the week with an RPI of 52, and will likely be selected for the National Invitational Softball Championship (NISC) or the NCAA Division I Softball Championship. Both tournaments will announce their fields tomorrow night. Liberty won the 2017 NISC title, hosting both the regional and national rounds.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram