The Liberty softball team completed its fourth straight ASUN series sweep, shutting out Jacksonville 4-0 in game two of a Saturday doubleheader at Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball Stadium.
ASUN-leading Liberty (33-16, 15-3) has won its last 12 conference games in a row, setting a new program record for longest conference winning streak. The Dolphins fall to 13-32, 1-14 in ASUN play. Liberty outscored Jacksonville 14-1 for the series.
Liberty honored its eight seniors – Jaclyn Amader, Chase Cassady, Jasmeen Click, Julia DiMartino, Kaitlin McFarland, Rylee Reynolds, Sarah Robertson and Deidra See – with a Senior Day ceremony prior to today's first game.
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1st INNING – See reaches on an error, Amber and Autumn Bishop score, 2-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – See singles to left, Amader advances to third, Autumn Bishop scores, 3-0
LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Autumn Bishop doubles down the left field line, McFarland scores, 4-0
Notable Numbers - Liberty recorded six hits compared to four for Jacksonville. The Dolphins sustained one error. The Lady Flames left five on base while JU stranded four.
- Julia DiMartino (17-7) pitched a complete-game four-hitter, striking out three and walking one. It was her team-leading fourth shutout of the season. - Alyssa Bilodeau (7-15) yielded four runs (two earned) on six hits, striking out six and walking one.
- Autumn Bishop batted 2-for-2 with a double, two runs scored and an RBI, while Deidra See batted 2-for-3 with a double and one RBI.
- Four different Dolphins had a hit, with Serena Quinata hitting a double.
Turning Point - Liberty took advantage of a two-out error in the bottom of the first. Autumn Bishop drew a leadoff walk and Amber Bishop singled. After two outs, See reached on an error, allowing the Bishop twins to score for a 2-0 lead.
- Liberty added single tallies in the third and fourth innings to get more breathing room at 4-0.
- Jacksonville was unable to get a runner past second base for the game, as DiMartino and the Liberty defense held the Dolphins scoreless for the second game in a row.
Beyond the Box Score - Autumn Bishop extended her hitting streak to 13 games, the longest hitting streak by any Lady Flame so far this season. Bishop is now in sole possession of second place in program history with 48 career doubles.
- Liberty is now 19-2 at home this season, outscoring opponents 118-18 at Liberty Softball Stadium.
- The Lady Flames have now posted 15 shutouts on the season.
- Liberty is 15-0 this year when scoring at least one run in the first inning.
- Liberty went a perfect 12-0 against the ASUN's Florida teams this season, sweeping series from FGCU, Stetson, North Florida and Jacksonville.
- This is the third time in their careers, and second time this season, that Chase Cassady and Julia DiMartino both tossed complete-game shutouts in the same day.
- All six senior batters had at least one hit or run scored between the two games today, and both senior pitchers earned shutouts.
- Amber Bishop is now tied with Katie Zavodny (2011-14) for fourth place in program history with 131 career hits.
Up Next The Lady Flames remain home, and will take on former Big South rival Radford at 6 p.m. on Tuesday night at Liberty Softball Stadium. It will be a rematch of the 2018 Big South Softball Championship final, which Liberty won 5-1 at Radford.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram