Alexis Erich hit the game-tying single in the sixth inning on Saturday.
Liberty scored twice in the top of the seventh, claiming a 3-1, series-opening victory over North Florida in game one of a doubleheader, Saturday at UNF Softball Complex.
The conference-leading Lady Flames (28-15, 10-3) ran their ASUN winning streak to seven games, while the Ospreys fall to 22-15, 4-6 in conference games.
Scoring Summary NORTH FLORIDA – 5th INNING – Cocuzza singles through the left side, Lower scores, 1-0
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Erich singles to left, Robertson advances, Click scores, 1-1
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Via triples to center field, Baele scores, 2-1
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Hoffman caught stealing second, Via scores from third, 3-1
Notable Numbers - North Florida outhit Liberty 9-7 for the game. UNF left 10 runners on base, while the Lady Flames stranded four.
- Julia DiMartino (14-7) earned the win, allowing one run on nine hits, striking out seven and walking one. - UNF's Morgan Clausen (2-3) drew the loss, giving up three runs on seven hits, with six strikeouts and two walks.
- Seven different Lady Flames had hits on the game. Autumn Bishop had a double, and Madison Via tripled, drove in one run and scored once. Alexis Erich had an RBI single.
- For UNF, Tiffany Lower went 2-for-4 with a triple and one run scored. Rindy Bryant and Taylor Engman both had two hits as well.
Turning Point - After knocking on the door for a majority of the game, North Florida finally broke through in the fifth. Lower led off with a triple to left. After two outs, Cocuzza sent an RBI single to left for a 1-0 lead.
- The Lady Flames quickly responded, loading the bases with nobody out in the top of the sixth on a Hoffman single, Autumn Bishop double and an intentional walk to Amber Bishop. With two outs, Erich hit a game-tying single to left, scoring pinch runner Jasmeen Click. Amber Bishop was thrown out at home trying to score from second on the play.
- Liberty broke the tie in the seventh, as See led off with a single. Via drove in pinch runner Addison Baele with a triple to center, and she later scored on a double-steal play for a 3-1 lead.
Beyond the Box Score - DiMartino set another program career record today, making her 163rd career appearance to pass former record holder Chandler Ball (2012-16). DiMartino is also the program's career record holder in wins, strikeouts, shutouts, saves and innings pitched.
- Liberty has won each of its last 11 games in the state of Florida, dating to the 2017 season.
- The Lady Flames are now 8-13 this season when their opponent scores first.
- Autumn Bishop moved into a three-way tie for second place in program history with 47 career doubles. She is now tied with Shannon Tanski (1995-97) and current Liberty graduate assistant Alexia Taylor (2015-18).
Up Next The Lady Flames and Ospreys are currently playing the second game of today's doubleheader.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram