Taylor Hoffman went 1-for-3 with one run scored on Wednesday.
Liberty took a 2-1 lead at North Carolina with a two-run third inning, but the host Tar Heels came back for the 3-2 win on Wednesday at Anderson Stadium.
UNC improves to 24-13 on the season with its fifth straight victory, all at home. The Lady Flames fall to 27-15 with the loss.
Scoring Summary UNC – 1st INNING – Dray doubles to right, Ramsey scores, 1-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Autumn Bishop singles to center, Hoffman advances, Via scores, 1-1
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Amader singles to center, Hoffman scores, 2-1
UNC – 3rd INNING – Burkhardt singles to second, Murray advances, DeBerry scores, 2-2
UNC – 5th INNING – Burkhardt flies out to right, DeBerry advances to third, scores on error, 3-2
Notable Numbers - UNC held a 6-5 edge in hits, while the Lady Flames committed two errors. UNC left three on base, while Liberty stranded one.
- Brittany Pickett (15-7) allowed two runs on five hits, striking out six. - Liberty's Julia DiMartino (13-7) drew the loss, allowing one unearned run on one hit in 3 2/3 innings of relief. Starter Chase Cassady yielded two runs on five hits in 2 1/3 innings of work.
- Kristina Burkhardt went 2-for-3 with one RBI for the Tar Heels, while Destiny DeBerry batted 2-for-2 with a double and two runs scored. Megan Dray (1-for-3) doubled and drove in one run. - Five different Lady Flames had one hit apiece. Autumn Bishop and Jaclyn Amader both drove in one run, while Madison Via and Taylor Hoffman scored one run apiece.
Turning Point - Trailing UNC 1-0, Liberty scored two runs on five hits in the top of the third. After one out, Via singled and stole second. A Taylor Hoffman single put runners on the corners for Autumn Bishop, who lined an RBI single to center. With two outs and runners on second and third, Amader sent a go-ahead RBI single to center, but Autumn Bishop was thrown out at the plate trying to extend the lead to 3-1.
- Three straight UNC hits in the home half of the third tied it at 2-2. DeBerry hit a leadoff double to left, and Leah Murray followed with a single. Burkhardt's infield single tied it. DiMartino came on to get the final two outs.
- North Carolina took a 3-2 lead with an unearned run in the fifth. DeBerry led off with a single before stealing second with one out. Burkhardt flied out to right and DeBerry advanced to third before scoring on an error on the play.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty is 3-3 against ACC opponents this season, and 14-5 versus the ACC since the start of the 2017 season.
- Prior to Autumn Bishop's RBI single in the third, UNC had gone 22 innings without giving up a single run, scoring 33 times during that span.
- Liberty won both meetings against the Tar Heels last season. However, North Carolina holds a 12-2 record in the all-time series against the Lady Flames.
- DiMartino is 2-1 with a 0.00 ERA in three lifetime appearances against North Carolina, a span of 17 2/3 innings.
- Liberty is 6-4 this season when its opponent scores in the first inning,
Up Next The Lady Flames head to Jacksonville, Fla., this weekend to take on North Florida in a three-game ASUN series, Saturday and Sunday. Liberty and UNF will play a doubleheader at 1 p.m. on Saturday before finishing the weekend with a 1 p.m. game on Sunday.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram