Liberty used an Amber Bishop homer and a Sarah Robertson RBI single to back up a three-hit shutout by Chase Cassady, as the Lady Flames shut out Virginia 2-0 on Tuesday at Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball Stadium.
Liberty improves to 24-13 on the season with its fifth straight win, while Virginia falls to 16-18.
The Lady Flames are now 13-2 at home this season, outscoring opponents 86-13 at Liberty Softball Stadium.
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Amber Bishop homers to center, 1-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Robertson singles to third base, Amader and Amber Bishop advance, Autumn Bishop scores, 2-0
Notable Numbers - Liberty held a 4-3 advantages in hits, while the Lady Flames registered the game's only error. Virginia left six on base, compared to five for Liberty.
- Chase Cassady (8-1) tossed second shutout of the season, striking out eight and walking two while allowing three hits. - Virginia's Aly Rayle allowed two runs on four hits, walking one and striking out four in the complete-game effort.
- Sarah Robertson batted 2-for-3 with a double and one RBI, while Amber Bishop went 1-for-2 with a homer, one RBI and one run scored and Autumn Bishop (1-for-3) scored once.
- Kate Covington went 2-for-3 for Virginia.
Turning Point - Liberty jumped ahead in the bottom of the first, as Amber Bishop launched her team-leading seventh homer of the season over the fence in straightaway center.
- The Lady Flames loaded the bases in the third, as Autumn Bishop singled and Rayle hit the next two batters with pitches. After two outs, Robertson beat out at infield single, making it 2-0.
- The Cavaliers got runners in scoring position in both the fifth and sixth, but Cassady kept UVA off the board.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty has won its last five meetings in a row against Virginia.
- The Lady Flames are 3-2 against ACC teams this season, and 14-4 versus the ACC since the start of the 2017 season.
- Liberty has shut out each of its last two opponents, giving the team 12 shutouts on the season. The Lady Flames have not allowed a run in the last 14 2/3 innings.
- Liberty is 8-1 in midweek games this season, including 1-1 on Wednesdays.
- Amber Bishop and Robertson are now tied with each other for 6th in program history with 208 career hits.
- Robertson is now tied with Amanda Maska (2002-04) for fourth in program history with 46 career doubles.
- Cassady tossed her 11th career shutout, moving her into a tie for 7th in program history with Amy Csider (1998-01). Cassady's next appearance will be the 100th of her career.
Up Next The Lady Flames will head to Harrisonburg, Va., tomorrow to take on James Madison at 5 p.m. JMU is ranked 14th in the nation, according to the latest Softball America poll.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram