Sarah Robertson went 2-for-3 with a triple and three RBI.
Liberty broke a 1-1 tie with a two-run triple by Sarah Robertson in the top of the sixth and held off FGCU for a 4-2 victory over the Eagles, in game two of today's ASUN doubleheader, Saturday at FGCU Softball Complex.
The Lady Flames (22-13, 5-3) swept the twin bill from FGCU (17-14, 3-2), winning by scores of 6-2 and 4-2.
Liberty secured its second ASUN series victory in a row, and will attempt the series sweep tomorrow.
The Lady Flames were the preseason favorite in the ASUN Softball Preseason Poll, while FGCU was voted second.
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Robertson singles up the middle, Erich advances, Amber Bishop scores, 1-0
FGCU – 5th INNING – Kelly singles up the middle, Batterton advances, Poehlman scores, 1-1
LIBERTY – 6th INNING – Robertson tripled to right center, Erich and Amader score, 3-1
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Amber Bishop singles to shortstop, Click scores, 4-1
FGCU – 7th INNING – Taylor flies out to center, sac fly, Batterton advances, Callaghan scores, 4-2
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit FGCU 7-5, while the Lady Flames recorded the game's only error. FGCU left six batters on base, while Liberty stranded four runners. - Emily Kirby (3-1) earned the win, allowing one run on one hit, walking one and striking out one. Julia DiMartino yielded one run on four hits, striking out two and walking one in 4 2/3 innings. - Morgan White (1-3) gave up four tuns on seven hits, walking three and striking out two in the complete-game effort.
- Sarah Robertson went 2-for-3 with a triple and three RBI for Liberty.
- Five different Eagles had one hit apiece.
Turning Point - Liberty led 1-0 heading into the bottom of the fifth. With two out and two on, Kate Kelly lined a game-tying single up the middle, and the runners advanced to second and third. Kirby came on in relief of DiMartino, keeping the game tied.
- The Lady Flames responded in the top of the sixth, getting runners on second and third with two out. Robertson then drove a two-run triple to right center, making it 3-1 Liberty.
- After Amber Bishop boosted Liberty's lead to 4-1 with an RBI single, FGCU threatened in the home half of the seventh. The first two batters reached, on a single and a hit by pitch. A wild pitch moved both runners ahead. Kyleigh Taylor drove in a run with a sac fly, narrowing the gap to 4-2. Kirby got the final two outs, nailing down the victory.
Beyond the Box Score - Robertson moved into a tie for seventh place in program history with seven career triples, and the senior is now in sole possession of ninth place on Liberty's career list with 117 RBI.
- Amber Bishop is now tied with Shannon Tanski (1995-97) for fourth place in program history with 346 career total bases.
- Jaclyn Amader needs two more runs scored to become the 18th player in program history with score 100 or more career runs.
Up Next The Lady Flames and Eagles close out this weekend's series with a single game, tomorrow at 1 p.m. at FGCU Softball Complex.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram