Autumn Bishop went 4-for-5 with two doubles on Wednesday at Duke.
Liberty overcame a 5-1 seventh-inning deficit at Duke, coming back to tie it before scoring five times in the ninth for a 10-6 victory Wednesday at Duke Softball Stadium.
The Lady Flames improve to 20-13 on the season, while the Blue Devils fall to 14-19. Liberty avenged a 3-1 deficit to Duke, Feb. 9 in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico.
This was Liberty's first extra-inning game of the year, while Duke is 2-3 in extra-inning contests in 2019.
Scoring Summary DUKE – 2nd INNING – Jacobsen doubles to right center, Kavel scores, 1-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Amader reaches on fielder's choice sac bunt, Autumn Bishop advances, Click scores, 1-1
DUKE – 6th INNING – Kavel singles to right, Wilson and Foreman score, 3-1
DUKE – 6th INNING – Moreno doubles to right center, Morris and Kavel score, 5-1
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Amader doubles to left, Hoffman and Autumn Bishop score, 5-3
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Via singles up the middle, Amader scores, 5-4
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Erich singles to left, Via scores, 5-5
LIBERTY – 9th INNING – Canetto doubles to right center, Erich and Robertson score, 7-5
LIBERTY – 9th INNING – Amber Bishop doubles to left Center, Autumn Bishop, McFarland, Canetto score, 10-5
DUKE – 9th INNING – Abboud singles through the left side, Davis scores, 10-6
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit Duke 14-11, while both teams registered three errors. The Lady Flames left 12 on base, while the Blue Devils stranded nine. - Chase Cassady (6-1) earned the win, allowing two runs (one earned) on four hits, walking two in 3 2/3 innings of relief. Liberty starter Julia DiMartino lasted 5 1/3 innings, giving up four runs on seven hits, with two strikeouts and one walk. - Duke's Peyton St. George (2-5) drew the loss, allowing four runs (three earned) on two hits in one inning pitched. Starter Brianna Butler gave up four runs (three earned) on eight hits, striking out four and walking two in 6 1/3 innings of work. Relievers' Amelia Wiercioch and Shelby Walters allowed one run each
- Liberty's Autumn Bishop went 4-for-5 with two doubles and two runs scored, while Amber Bishop batted 3-for-6 with a double and three RBI. Jaclyn Amader went 1-for-5 with a double and three RBI, while Kara Canetto (2-for-5) doubled twice and drove in two.
- Duke's Jasmine Moreno, Kristina Foreman and Caroline Jacobsen all went 2-for-4.
Turning Point - Duke jumped ahead with a four-run bottom of the sixth inning. A two-run single by Jameson Kavel made it 3-1 Duke, and Cassady came on in relief of DiMartino. Moreno hit a two-out, two-run double to boost the Blue Devils' lead to 5-1.
- Four straight one-out hits brought Liberty back to within one run in the top of the seventh. Autumn Bishop and Amber Bishop both singled, and Amader drove in the twins with a double. Wiercioch then came on in relief of Butler. Via narrowed the gap to 5-4 with an RBI single. After two outs, Erich dropped an RBI single into left to tie the game.
- Liberty left the bases loaded the end the eighth, but broke through for five runs in the top of the ninth. Canetto hit a two-run double to make it 7-5, and Amber Bishop later lined a bases-clearing double for a 10-5 advantage.
- Duke scored once in the bottom of the ninth, before Cassady closed it out.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty is now 2-2 against ACC opponents this season, and 13-4 versus the ACC since the start of the 2017 season.
- The last time Liberty overcame a four-run, seventh-inning deficit in a victory was April 21, 2015, when the Lady Flames trailed Hampton 4-0 in the seventh and ended up winning 5-4 in nine innings.
- Autumn Bishop is the fourth Lady Flame with a four-hit game this season, joining Amber Bishop, Jaclyn Amader and Madison Via.
- Autumn Bishop's sixth career two-double game puts her in fifth place in program history with 45 career doubles.
- Amber Bishop moved into sole possession of fifth place in program history with 127 career RBI, passing Beth Bennett (2006-09).
- Chase Cassady picked up her 30th career win, as she has gone 30-21 while at Liberty.
- Julia DiMartino made her 100th career start, becoming the third pitcher in program history to start 100 or more career games.
Up Next The Lady Flames return to conference play, flying to Fort Myers, Fla., to take on FGCU on Saturday and Sunday. Saturday's doubleheader begins at 2 p.m., while Liberty and FGCU will close out the series on Sunday at 1 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram