Kara Canetto hit her first career sacrifice fly against KSU.
In a battle of two of the top teams in the ASUN Conference, Kennesaw State rallied for two two-out runs in the seventh to beat Liberty 3-2 on Friday at Bailey Park.
Kennesaw State (16-13, 1-0 ASUN) won its ASUN opener, while the Lady Flames fall to 16-10, 0-1 in ASUN play after falling in their first ASUN contest.
The Owls are the defending ASUN champions, while Liberty won the 2018 Big South title and is in its first year in the ASUN.
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Autumn Bishop singles to right center, Click advances to third, Hoffman scores, 1-0
LIBERTY – 5th INNING – Canetto flies out to center, sacrifice fly, Click scores, 2-0
KSU – 5th INNING – Mullen homers, 2-1
KSU – 7th INNING – Thomason singles up the middle, advances to second, Mullen scores, 2-2
KSU – 7th INNING – Womack reaches on an error, Roth advances, Thomason scores, 3-2
Notable Numbers - Kennesaw State outhit Liberty 7-5 for the game. The Lady Flames sustained two errors while the Owls recorded one error. - KSU's Hailey Andrews (8-7) earned the win, allowing two runs on five hits, striking out seven in the complete-game effort. - Braelyn Cooper (1-3) drew the loss, allowing two unearned runs on one hit, striking out two in one inning. Liberty starter Julia DiMartino lasted 5 2/3 innings, yielding one run on six hits with three strikeouts. - Hannah Thomason went 4-for-4 with one RBI and one run scored for the Owls, while Jessie Mullen batted 1-for-3 with a homer, two runs and one RBI.
- Autumn Bishop batted 2-for-3 with an RBI, while Kara Canetto went 1-for-2 with a sacrifice fly and one RBI.
Turning Point - Liberty broke through in the top of the fifth. With one out, Kaitlin McFarland dropped a double into left field. Jasmeen Click then reached on a fielder's choice, and Autumn Bishop made it 1-0 with an RBI single up the middle, scoring pinch runner Taylor Hoffman from second. Canetto then flied out to center, plating Click for a 2-0 lead.
- The Owls answered with a solo shot to left from Mullen in the bottom of the fifth.
- Braelyn Cooper entered the circle with one on and two out in the sixth, striking out Katie Greep for the third out.
- In the bottom of the seventh, Mullen reached on an error and went to second when Raleigh Williams grounded out. Thomason then tied it with a two-out RBI single up the middle. After a hit batter, an error allowed pinch hitter Sarah Womack to reach first, and Thomason raced home with the winning run.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty is now 5-3 all-time against Kennesaw State in softball. These two teams split a doubleheader at Bailey Park last season.
- Liberty holds a 14-1 record when scoring first this season.
- Autumn Bishop improved her hitting streak to nine games, the longest hitting streak by a Lady Flame so far this year.
Up Next Liberty and Kennesaw State will conclude their weekend ASUN series with a doubleheader tomorrow. Game one of the twin bill is scheduled to begin at noon.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram