Liberty used a three-run third inning to gain the lead, and Chase Cassady allowed just one hit in 4-1 home win over Pitt, Wednesday at Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball Stadium.
Liberty (16-9) is now 10-0 at home this season and has won 28 straight home games, dating back to March 10, 2018. That is the second-longest active home winning streak in NCAA Division I softball, trailing only Oklahoma's 41 games. Pitt (3-19) has lost five straight games.
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Canetto walks, Autumn Bishop and Click advance, Via scores, 1-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Amber Bishop grounds to second, Canetto and Autumn Bishop advance, Click scores, 2-0
LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Erich grounds to second, Canetto advances, Autumn Bishop scores, 3-0
PITT – 4th INNING – Solak grounds to short, Bach scores, 3-1
LIBERTY – 4th INNING – Autumn Bishop singles to center, Click scores, 4-1
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit Pitt 7-1 for the game. The Lady Flames left seven on base, compared to three stranded by the Panthers. - Cassady (4-1) allowed one run on just one hit, walking three and striking out five in her second complete-game victory of the season. - Pitt's Taylor Rahach falls to 0-5 on the season after yielding three runs on three hits and walking two in two innings. Abby Edwards allowed one run over the final four innings. - Autumn Bishop and Madison Via both went 2-for-3 for the Lady Flames, while Via and Alexis Erich both doubled. Jasmeen Click, making her second start of the season, went 1-for-2 with two stolen bases and two runs scored.
- Gabrielle Fredericks' leadoff double in the fourth was the Panthers' only hit.
Turning Point - Liberty loaded the bases in the bottom of the third, as Via doubled, Click singled and Autumn Bishop walked. Canetto drew her first walk of the season, making it 1-0. RBI groundouts from Amber Bishop and Erich pushed Liberty's lead to 3-0.
- Pitt scored once in the top of the fourth, but Liberty responded on Autumn Bishop's RBI single in the home half of the inning.
- After giving up the leadoff double in the fourth, Cassady retired the last 12 batters she faced.
Beyond the Box Score - Since the start of the 2017 season, Liberty is now 12-4 against ACC opponents. The Lady Flames have won each of their last six home games versus ACC competition.
- Liberty is 10-0 at Liberty Softball Stadium this season, and is outscoring opponents 72-3 at home this year.
- Cassady made her 93rd career pitching appearance today, moving into a tie for 10th in program history with Ali Thompson (2001-03).
- Autumn Bishop is now tied with Dawn Jeffs (2006-07) for 15th in program history with 102 career runs scored.
Up Next Liberty opens its inaugural season in the ASUN Conference with a three-game conference series at defending ASUN champion Kennesaw State, Friday and Saturday in Kennesaw, Ga. On Friday, 2018 Big South champion Liberty will take on 2018 ASUN champion KSU in a doubleheader beginning at 3 p.m. Saturday's series finale is scheduled for a noon start.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram