Chase Cassady tied her career high with 12 strikeouts against Sacred Heart.
Liberty pushed its winning streak to 10 games, tossing its program-record eighth straight shutout while blanking Sacred Heart, 2-0, in the second game of a twin bill, Monday at Kamphuis Field at Liberty Softball Stadium.
The Lady Flames (13-6) went 5-0 at the Liberty Softball Classic, and finished off a 9-0 homestand. Sacred Heart (4-5) finished 2-3 at the invitational.
Liberty has won each of its last 27 home games, dating to March 20, 2018. Also, the Lady Flames are on program-record streaks for consecutive shutout games (8) and innings (54 2/3).
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 2nd INNING – Autumn Bishop singles to center, Harris advances, Hoffman and Via score, 2-0
Notable Numbers - Liberty and Sacred Heart both registered three hits for the game, with the Pioneers recording one error. - Chase Cassady (3-1) pitched a three-hitter, her first complete-game shutout of the season. She tied a career high with 12 strikeouts and yielded three walks. - Shyanne Fenn (0-1) drew the loss, giving up two unearned runs on three hits, walking one and fanning two in five relief innings after Emily Orosco pitched a 1-2-3 first. - Autumn Bishop, Sarah Robertson and Taylor Hoffman had one hit apiece for Liberty, with Bishop driving in the game's only runs.
- Amy Petrovich went 2-for-2 for Sacred Heart.
Turning Point - Sacred Heart got the first batter on base in the first, second and seventh innings, but, as in the first game today, no Pioneer made it past second base.
- In a Liberty second inning that was kept alive by a Sacred Heart error, Autumn Bishop provided the game's lone runs with a two-out, two-run single.
Beyond the Box Score - Only Oklahoma (35) has a longer active home winning streak than Liberty (27) among NCAA Division I softball teams. - Both Julia DiMartino (10 in game one) and Cassady (12 in game two) reached double digits in strikeouts today. The last time that Liberty pitchers had 10 or more strikeouts in back-to-back games was March 12, 2016, when DiMartino struck out 13 Sacred Heart batters and Cassady had 11 K's against LaSalle.
- Each of the last eight times that Cassady has gone the distance, it has resulted in a shutout. That dates back to March 14, 2017 against North Carolina A&T. Cassady has not allowed a run in her last 18 innings pitched.
- Liberty has scored 67 unanswered runs since giving up two runs in the top of the first against Wright State on Feb. 21.
- Cassady is now tied with Terra Lowe (2004-07) for eighth in program history with 10 career shutouts.
Up Next Liberty will next head to Los Angeles, Calif., to compete in the UCLA/LBSU Tournament. The Lady Flames will play against San Diego State and Long Beach State on Friday, before playing against Boston University and UCLA at UCLA on Saturday. Liberty will finish the weekend against Ohio on Sunday, a game hosted by Long Beach State.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram