The Liberty softball team picked up a big win on Friday, taking down the host No. 19 Texas A&M Aggies 4-2 at the Davis Diamond.
The Lady Flames beat both Rutgers and Texas A&M today to begin the Texas A&M Invitational, moving their season record to 3-4. The Aggies fall to 5-2 on the season.
Today's win was the ninth victory over a Top 25 team in program history, and third in the last two seasons.
Scoring Summary LIBERTY – 1st INNING – Canetto singles to left, advances to second on the throw, Autumn Bishop scores, 1-0 TEXAS A&M – 1st INNING – Klinger singles down the left field line, Morgan Smith scores, 1-1 LIBERTY – 3rd INNING – Erich doubles to center, Roberson and Canetto score, 3-1
TEXAS A&M – 3rd INNING – Fortenberry singles up the middle, Morgan Smith scores, 3-2
LIBERTY – 7th INNING – Click steals second, advances to third on a throwing error, Via scores from third, 4-2
Notable Numbers - Liberty outhit Texas A&M, 10-3, for the game, while the Aggies recorded one error. - Elizabeth Engler (1-1) earned the win, allowing one run on two hits in 2 1/3 innings pitched in relief of Chase Cassady. Julia DiMartino picked up an eight-out save, her first of the season, walking one and striking out one in a hitless relief outing. - Kendall Potts (1-1) drew the loss, allowing four runs (three earned) on 10 hits, while issuing three walks. - Sarah Robertson went 3-for-4 for the Lady Flames, while Amber Bishop and Kara Canetto both batted 2-for-4. Alexis Erich went 1-for-2 with a double and two RBI. - Morgan Smith scored the Aggies' two runs during a 1-for-2 game. Kelbi Fortenberry and Baylee Klingler both recorded one RBI.
Turning Point - With the game tied at 1-1 in the top of the third, the Lady Flames loaded the bases with nobody out. Potts then got Emily Sweat to ground into a 1-2-3 double play.
- Erich then untied the game with a two-out, two-run double to center, making it a 3-1 ballgame.
- Texas A&M narrowed the game to 3-2 in the bottom of the third, but got no closer.
- Liberty added an insurance run in the top of the seventh. DiMartino pitched a 1-2-3 seventh, with Canetto making all three putouts in left.
Beyond the Box Score - DiMartino picked up her 10th career save. She has now tied Sarah Swor (2004-07) for the program record in career saves. DiMartino now holds program career records for wins, saves, shutouts and strikeouts. - The Lady Flames are now 1-2 all-time against Texas A&M. The Aggies won the last meeting, 4-0, March 17, 2011 in Tampa, Fla. - Liberty defeated a Top 25 team for the first time since downing No. 11/10 South Carolina, 3-1, on May 19, 2018 at the NCAA Columbia Regional. Liberty is 1-2 against Top 25 teams this year.
- Sarah Robertson moved into ninth place in program history with 111 career runs scored, passing Kelby Allen (2012-15).
- Coming into today's game, Texas A&M was batting .478 as a team, averaging just over 10 runs per game. Liberty held the Aggies to two runs on three hits. - Liberty is 9-2 in its last 11 games decided by two runs or fewer. Up Next The Lady Flames compete twice tomorrow, taking on McNeese at 11 a.m. ET before facing No. 19 Texas A&M at 1:15 p.m. ET.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram