Liberty will make its second straight appearance in the ASUN semifinal round, defeating North Florida 3-1 in tonight's quarterfinal.
No. 3 seed Liberty downed No. 6 seed North Florida 3-1 (22-25, 25-23, 25-17, 25-17) in the ASUN Volleyball Championship quarterfinal, Thursday at FGCU's Alico Arena.
The Lady Flames (19-10) have advanced to tomorrow's ASUN semifinal at 7:30 p.m. against No. 2 seed Kennesaw State. The Ospreys see their season end with a 15-18 record.
Notable Numbers • For the match, Liberty outhit UNF .217-.092. The Lady Flames led in digs (74-70) and blocks (17-8), while the Ospreys held a 3-2 edge in aces. It was Liberty's 14th 10-block match this season.
• Three Lady Flames recorded double-doubles, in Casey Goodwin (19 kills, career-high 15 digs, career-high eight blocks), Amelia Johnson (18 kills, 14 digs) and Hannah Morris (35 assists, 12 digs). Kailey Macy posted a match-high 10 blocks, the most blocks by a Liberty player this season. Macy Phillips collected 19 digs and served up two aces, while Aspen Thompson posted six blocks.
• Solimar Cestero led UNF with 14 kills and was joined in double figures by Taryn Griffey with 12 kills. Julianna Askew totaled 31 assists and 12 digs, while Rocio Moro collected a match-high 25 digs.
Head Coach Trevor Johnson "All glory to God! What a great team win tonight! I'm so proud of everyone stepping up and doing their jobs! I thought we did a great job of dealing with the adversity of losing the first set and responded to the challenge. We showed a lot of heart tonight! I loved the energy from our bench as well!"
Match Summary SET 1 • Set one featured 12 ties and five lead changes. Liberty held a 20-19 advantage before the Ospreys' five-point run pushed UNF ahead 24-20. The Ospreys converted their third set-point try, winning 25-22.
• The Ospreys outhit Liberty .179-.091 in the first set, as UNF posted five blocks.
SET 2 • Liberty led set two by as many as six points at 16-10. The Ospreys battled all the way back to tie it at 23-all. However, Goodwin came through with a kill and then a Goodwin-Macy block clinched the set.
• Goodwin scored nine kills in the second set, as Liberty outhit UNF .250-.200.
SET 3 • Liberty pulled away late in set three, winning 25-17 in a set where the Lady Flames outhit the Ospreys .308-.070.
SET 4 • The Lady Flames put the clamps on UNF's attack in the fourth, as the Ospreys hit -.071 and Liberty posted eight blocks in winning 25-17.
Quick Hits • Liberty will make its fourth straight appearance in a conference semifinal and appear in the ASUN semifinal for the second year in a row.
• The Lady Flames lead North Florida 6-0 in the all-time series.
• Tonight marked the third time this season that Liberty has won a match after losing the first set, and first since a five-set win over Northern Arizona on Sept. 21.
• This was the first time Liberty has won a conference tournament match after losing the first set since coming back from a 2-0 deficit to beat Winthrop in the 2010 Big South semifinal.
• Macy's 10 blocks tied a career high and are the most blocks in a single conference tournament match for a Liberty player under the current 25-point rally-scoring system.
• Liberty's 17 teams blocks set a new season high and were the most by the Lady Flames in a single conference tournament match under the 25-point rally-scoring system.
• Liberty is looking to make its first appearance in a conference tournament final since 2012, when the Lady Flames won their seventh Big South title.
• Goodwin moved into eighth place in program history with 330 career blocks, passing Nicole Nice (1989-92) tonight.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram