After Jacksonville tied the match at 1-1, Liberty won the final two sets to take a 3-1 decision (25-20, 18-25, 25-22, 25-23) over the host Dolphins on Sunday at Swisher Gymnasium.
The Lady Flames (14-8, 7-3) are 2-0 on their current road trip which began with a 3-0 sweep at NJIT on Friday and concludes on Tuesday at FGCU. Jacksonville falls to 7-17 on the season, including 3-7 in ASUN play.
Notable Numbers • For the match, Liberty outhit JU .145-.132. The Lady Flames led in digs (59-54) and aces (6-5) while the Dolphins held a 15-11 advantage in blocks.
• Amelia Johnson scored a match-high 13 kills and added 14 digs for her team-leading eighth double-double. Anna Gragg scored 12 kills (.524) while posting five blocks. Casey Goodwin contributed 11 kills, two aces and four blocks. Amaya Williams dished out a match-high 30 assists while Macy Phillips collected 15 digs.
• Mallory Mattingly led Jacksonville with 12 kills and collected her 1,000th career dig today. Bailey Foy added 11 kills, while Sydney Bolding posted a match-high 11 blocks.
Head Coach Trevor Johnson "I thought we served and passed well today. Jacksonville did a great job of not letting the ball hit the floor, and it was frustrating for our hitters. Anna Gragg played lights out and her leadership was key in our victory. We know we can play better than we did and we are excited about the opportunity on Tuesday against FGCU."
Match Summary SET 1 • Liberty outscored the Dolphins 14-8 down the stretch to secure the first set 25-20.
• The Lady Flames outhit JU .229-.062 in the first set despite five Dolphin blocks. Johnson led all players with five kills.
SET 2 • Jacksonville led Liberty 20-10 during set two and held off a Lady Flames rally to win 25-18.
• The Dolphins kept their blocking game going, posting seven blocks while helping hold Liberty to a .000 hitting percentage.
SET 3 • The Lady Flames bounced back, winning set three 25-22 with Goodwin sending down the clinching kill after JU had pulled to within two.
• Liberty outhit Jacksonville .206-.139 for the set. Mattingly scored a set-best six kills.
SET 4 • Liberty built an 18-12 lead in set four, but the Dolphins came back to tied it at 22-all. Rajini Fitzmaurice then scored a kill and assisted on a block. After a JU sideout, Gragg ended it with a kill.
Quick Hits • Liberty is now 12-6 in sets decided by just two points this season.
• The Lady Flames have posted 10 or more blocks 10 times this season after recording 12 10-block matches last year.
• With 399 career blocks, Gragg needs one more rejection to become the sixth player in program history with 400 or more blocks.
• Goodwin posted her 300th career block today and needs 13 more blocks to enter Liberty's career top 10.
• Liberty is 12-2 this season in matches in which the Lady Flames win the first set.
• Liberty is now 5-0 all-time in volleyball against Jacksonville, winning all four meetings as ASUN opponents.
Up Next Liberty closes out its three-match road trip on Tuesday at 7 p.m. in Fort Myers, Fla., taking on defending ASUN champion FGCU. The Lady Flames swept the Eagles in their ASUN opener at the Vines Center on Sept. 24.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram