Liberty earned its first road win over Virginia in nearly 40 years, sweeping the Cavaliers (25-23, 25-22, 30-28), Tuesday at Memorial Gym.
Liberty (4-2) has won four straight matches, all coming in the last four days, including two over ACC opponents Virginia Tech and Virginia. The Cavaliers fall to 3-4 on the season.
Notable Numbers • Liberty outhit the Cavaliers, .270-.153, for the match. The Lady Flames also led in blocks (10.5-8), while UVA held the advantage in digs (44-43) and aces (4-3).
• Liberty's Amelia Johnson scored a match-high 18 kills, while Casey Goodwin contributed 13 kills and five blocks. Anna Gragg posted a match-high seven blocks, while Hannah Morris registered 37 assists and nine digs. Rajini Fitzmaurice and Macy Phillips collected 10 digs each.
• Jelena Novakovic scored 10 kills for the Cavaliers, while Kelsey Miller collected 17 digs and Mattison Matthews recorded six blocks.
Head Coach Trevor Johnson "Loved our fight tonight! I'm really proud of our girls stepping up at crucial times! We made adjustments as the match went on, and our girls did awesome listening to us."
Match Summary SET 1 • Liberty led set one 19-15 after a Goodwin kill. The Cavaliers battled back to within one point at 22-21. Morris' kill made it 23-21 Liberty, and the Lady Flames scored on their second set-point chance when Johnson scored for a 25-23 victory.
SET 2 • Liberty outhit Virginia .250-.094 in the second set. The Lady Flames held a 22-17 lead before the Cavaliers pulled to within 23-22 with a 5-1 rally. A pair of Cavalier errors produced the final two points of Liberty's 25-22 win.
• Johnson scored seven kills during set two and Goodwin added five kills.
SET 3 • Set three proved to be Liberty's longest set of the young season. Virginia fought off two match-point tries, drawing even at 24-24. The Cavaliers went ahead by one point four times but were unable to close it out. Trailing 28-27, Liberty scored the final three points, including a spirited final point that Goodwin ended with a kill.
Quick Hits • Tonight was Liberty's first win over the Cavaliers in Charlottesville since Nov. 1, 1979.
• The Lady Flames have now beaten Virginia in volleyball in back-to-back years for the first time.
• This is the first time in program history that Liberty has defeated multiple ACC opponents (Virginia and Virginia Tech) in the same year.
• Liberty has won four matches in the last four days (def. Elon and Virginia Tech Sept. 7, def. Davidson Sept. 8 and def. Virginia Sept. 9). The last time Liberty beat four Division I opponents in a four-day span was Sept. 27-30, 1990.
• Johnson's 18 kills are the most by a Lady Flame in a three-set match since Caroline Douglas scored 20 kills in a 3-0 sweep of Presbyterian College on Oct. 23, 2015.
• Goodwin has reached double-figures in kills in all six matches so far this season, while Phillips has collected 10 or more digs every match.
• Liberty is 3-0 this year in extended sets, winning two 26-24 sets and one 30-28 session.
Up Next Liberty will fly to compete in the Cougar Classic, hosted by Washington State on Friday and Saturday in Pullman, Wash. While in Washington, Liberty will take on UT Arlington, Idaho State and the host Cougars.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram