Liberty rallied for a big 3-1 (23-25, 25-22, 25-15, 25-22) win over the visiting Virginia Tech Hokies, Saturday at the Vines Center.
Liberty evens its season record at 2-2 with the win while improving to 2-0 at the Liberty Invitational. Virginia Tech (3-3) went 2-1 at this weekend's invitational.
Notable Numbers • Liberty outhit the Hokies .225-159 for the match, while also leading in aces (11-1), digs (74) and blocks (6-5).
• Liberty's Amelia Johnson scored a career-high and match-high 19 kills, adding 14 digs for her first career double-double in addition to serving up three aces. Anna Gragg scored 12 kills at a .400 pace, while Casey Goodwin sent down 10 kills. Hannah Morris dished out a season-high 45 assists and collected 13 digs. Macy Phillips corralled a match-high 18 digs and Rajini Fitzmaurice collected a career-high 16 digs.
• Marisa Cerchio scored 15 kills to lead all players, while Talyn Jackson totaled 33 assists and 13 digs. Logan Mosley collected a team-high 16 digs.
Head Coach Trevor Johnson "What a great crowd tonight! Thank you Flames Nation for coming out to support our girls! We thrived off of your energy! Great team win!"
Match Summary SET 1 • Liberty led set one 22-20 after an Amelia Johnson kill. However, the Hokies went on a 5-1 run to win the set 25-23.
• Gragg (5K-0E-5TA) and Cerchio (5-1-6) were their respective teams' top hitters in the opening set.
SET 2 • The Lady Flames bounced back in set two, outhitting the Hokies .250-.243 on the way to a 25-22 win. Both teams collected 21 digs during the set, with several long rallies.
SET 3 • Liberty's tough serving kept the Hokies off balance in set three, serving up five aces while holding Virginia Tech to a .093 hitting percentage. The Lady Flames led for a majority of the set, winning 25-15.
SET 4 • Liberty held a 19-18 lead in the fourth set before pulling away to win, 25-22. Johnson's seventh kill of the set sealed the match victory.
Quick Hits • Liberty's 11 aces were the team's most since serving up 11 aces against Hampton, Sept. 3, 2016.
• Virginia Tech holds a 38-7 all-time record against Liberty in volleyball. However, Liberty has won each of the last four meetings with the Hokies in the Vines Center (2000, 2001, 2003, 2019). Liberty's 3-1 win Oct. 14, 2003 was the Lady Flames' last win over Virginia Tech until tonight.
• Liberty boosted its home winning streak to eight matches, dating to last season.
• Liberty has won each of its last two matches against ACC opponents, including a 3-0 sweep of Virginia on Sept. 11, 2018.
• Johnson's 19 kills were the most by a Lady Flame since Casey Goodwin scored 25 kills against North Florida on Oct. 21, 2018.
Up Next The Lady Flames look to close out an undefeated Liberty Invitational, taking on Davidson at 1 p.m. tomorrow.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram