Liberty hit .324 as a team, cruising to a 3-0 (25-22, 25-20, 25-15) sweep of the visiting Stetson Hatters, Sunday at the Vines Center.
With the win, Liberty (8-13) snapped a three-match losing streak, ending the first half of conference play in fourth place at 5-3. Stetson (12-7), which came into the match tied for fourth with Liberty, falls to 4-4 in ASUN matches.
Notable Numbers • The Lady Flames outhit the Hatters, .324-.150, while also leading in kills (47-31), digs (44-34), aces (6-3) and blocks (7-5).
• Casey Goodwin scored a match-high 16 kills (.452), adding a match-high four aces, seven digs and two blocks. Anna Gragg hit .643 with 10 kills, while Kainah Williams posted a match-high four blocks. Hannah Morris dished out 23 assists and Margaret Latchford collected 12 digs.
• Hao Jin led Stetson with eight kills while Emily DeStaffino dished out 23 assists and Chelcie Spence collected a match-high 14 digs.
Match Summary SET 1 • Liberty jumped out to a 19-11 lead in the first set. Stetson used a 10-4 run, drawing to within 23-21 on a block by Jin and Eva Deisa. After a pair of sideouts, Gragg's kill ended the Liberty win, 25-22.
• During the opening set, Liberty hit .250 and posted four blocks while holding the Hatters to a .206 hitting percentage.
SET 2 • Set two was tied at 12-12 before Liberty's 4-0 run pushed the hosts ahead, 16-12. Stetson narrowed the gap to 17-16 on DeStaffino's kill. However, the Lady Flames staged a 6-0 run to help pull away, 25-20.
• Liberty outhit Stetson, .250-.086, in set two. Goodwin led all players with six set-two kills.
SET 3 • The Lady Flames put the match away with a 25-15 set-three win in which they outhit the Hatters, .471-.161. Goodwin scored six kills and Victoria Baptista added five.
Quick Hits • Liberty's .324 hitting percentage was its second best on the season, trailing only a .387 effort at Jacksonville, Sept. 22. The Lady Flames have hit .300 or better in four out of their eight ASUN matches to date, and are outhitting conference opponents .261-.167.
• Goodwin has reached double figures in kills in seven out of Liberty's first eight ASUN matches this season, giving her a team-best nine double-digit kill matches this season. Her four service aces today were the second most by a Liberty player this season, trailing only Goodwin's six aces against Oakland, Aug. 24.
• Latchford has collected 1,624 career digs. She needs 16 more digs to pass Theresa Bream (1987-90) into fourth place in program history.
Up Next The Lady Flames remain home for the next two weeks. Next weekend, Liberty welcomes Jacksonville (Friday at 7 p.m.) and North Florida (Sunday at 1 p.m.) to the Vines Center.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram