Aspen Thompson tied for the match high with three blocks in her first career match.
In a battle of former conference rivals, High Point registered a 3-0 sweep (25-19, 25-20, 25-21) over Liberty, on Saturday at the Fitzgerald Fieldhouse.
High Point improved to 4-6 on the season with the win, its first match at this weekend's Pitt Invite. Liberty (3-9) is winless in two matches this weekend ahead of this afternoon's match with College of Charleston.
Notable Numbers • For the match, High Point hit .262, compared to .204 for Liberty. The Panthers also led in aces (6-2) and digs (46-37), while the Lady Flames held an 8-3 advantage in blocks.
• High Point's Molly Livingston led all players with 10 kills and three service aces, while Abby Bottomley collected a match-high 15 digs and Mackenzi Thornburg dished out a match-high 20 assists.
• Casey Goodwin sent down a team-high eight kills for Liberty, while Margaret Latchford corralled 11 digs and Hannah Morris recorded 19 assists. Jenna Culhan and Aspen Thompson tied for match-high honors with three blocks each.
Match Summary SET 1 • High Point opened up a 10-5 advantage after 15 serves, and maintained a similar lead throughout the rest of the first set, winning 25-19. The Panthers outhit the Lady Flames, .286-.194, during the opening session.
SET 2 • During the second set, High Point used an eight-point run to take a 21-13 lead, a rally that included two Livingston aces. Liberty responded with a 6-1 spurt featuring three kills by Goodwin, narrowing the gap to 22-19. However, the Panthers closed to a 25-20 win.
• High Point outhit Liberty, .364-.241, in set two, while Livingston served up two out of the Panthers' three aces.
SET 3 • A 3-0 Liberty run trimmed the Lady Flames' deficit to 16-15 after Madi Furtado's kill. High Point scored the next three points, but Liberty kept chipping away, drawing to within two at 22-20 on a Morris ace and again at 23-21 on a Jenna Culhan kill. The Panthers then scored on the next two serves to seal the sweep.
• As was the case in the second set, High Point served up three aces in the third.
Quick Hits • Freshman Aspen Thompson made her first collegiate appearance. The middle blocker from San Antonio, Texas scored three kills and tied for the team lead with three blocks.
• Goodwin recorded her 600th career kill during the match. She is Liberty's active career leader with 601 career kills.
• Liberty is now 31-18 all-time against High Point in volleyball, a series that dates back to 1995. These two teams have met every year since 1997.
Up Next The Lady Flames wrap up their time in Pittsburgh this afternoon, with a 4 p.m. match against College of Charleston.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram