Victoria Baptista recorded a double-double with 11 kills and 18 digs on Saturday at Purdue Fort Wayne.
Liberty and Purdue Fort Wayne played one of the longest sets in NCAA Division I history, which the Mastodons won, 43-41, on the way to a 3-1 (43-41, 25-20, 19-25, 25-21) victory, Saturday at Gates Sports Center.
Purdue Fort Wayne evened its season record to 1-1 with the win, while Liberty ended its time at the Fort Wayne Invitational presented by Hyatt Place at 1-2. Liberty junior middle blocker Anna Gragg was named to the Fort Wayne Invitational All-Tournament Team for her efforts on the weekend.
Notable Numbers • For the match, the Mastodons outhit the Lady Flames, .272-.237, while Liberty led in blocks (11-8) and digs (75-65).
• Liberty's Casey Goodwin (20 kills, career-high 11 digs) recorded her first career double-double, while Victoria Baptista registered 11 kills and 18 digs.
• Payton Carter scored a career-high 11 kills for Liberty, while Margaret Latchford collected a match-high 18 digs. Anna Gragg posted nine kills and five blocks, while Hannah Morris dished out a team-high 37 assists.
• Purdue Fort Wayne's Nicole Rightnowar recorded 18 kills and a match-high three aces, while Madison Jaqua added a match-best 51 assists and Sydney Boerst led all players with seven blocks.
• Set one was the longest set Liberty has played in under the current 25-point rally-scoring system. The previous longest set was set three of the NCAA Tournament first-round match at No. 8 seed Minnesota, won 34-32 by the Golden Gophers, Nov. 30, 2012. It is also tied for the fifth most points in any NCAA Division I match since 2008.
Match Summary SET 1 • Set one featured 28 ties and 15 lead changes. Purdue Fort Wayne had 13 set-point tries, while Liberty served for the set six times. With the score tied, 41-41, Katie Crowe scored back-to-back kills to seal the set.
• Rightnowar led all players with 10 kills in the opening set, while Liberty outhit Purdue Fort Wayne, .288-.257 and the Lady Flames posted five blocks.
SET 2 • Purdue Fort Wayne turned an 11-8 deficit into a 13-11 lead, going on a five-point run. Liberty got to within one point at 13-12 and again at 14-13, but got no closer as Mastodons won, 25-20.
SET 3 • A 7-1 run keyed Liberty's early momentum in the third set, as the Lady Flames built a 13-7 lead. Liberty hit .343 with 18 kills in set three, compared to 13 kills at a .265 pace for the Mastodons.
SET 4 • The hosts led set four by as many as five points, 20-15, before Liberty rallied to within 21-19 following a Baptista service ace. Purdue Fort Wayne closed to the finish, winning, 25-21.
• Carter led all players with six set-four kills for Liberty.
Quick Hits • Latchford became the ninth player in program history with 1,400 or more career digs (1,410).
• Purdue Fort Wayne is the second of seven opponents on the Lady Flames' 2018 schedule which they will face for the first time in program history this year. Liberty is 1-1 against first-time opponents this season.
• Goodwin's 20 kills were the most by a Lady Flame since Goodwin scored 23 kills at UNC Asheville, Nov. 9, 2017.
• Set one was Liberty's longest set in rally-scoring history, dating to 2001. Prior to today, the longest set Liberty had played in was a 38-36 set-four loss to High Point, Sept. 30, 2005. That match was when sets went to 30 points.
Up Next Liberty heads to Houston, Texas, to compete in the Rice Adidas Invitational I, next Friday and Saturday. While in Houston, the Lady Flames will take on South Carolina and Houston Baptist on Friday before facing the host Rice Owls on Saturday at noon ET.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram