Liberty has won its last two road games against VCU.
Game Day Central Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.) Complete Game Notes Today's Game Liberty (8-4) will play its final regular-season non-conference game Thursday at 2 p.m., when the Lady Flames travel across the Commonwealth to face VCU (5-5). The contest will be Liberty's fourth in eight days, but the Lady Flames will not play again until Dec. 29 at Winthrop.
The "Starting Five" - Today's Top Storylines 1) Liberty will be playing VCU for the 34th time, as the Lady Flames have faced the Rams more often than any other non-conference opponent in program history. VCU leads the series, 23-10, but the Lady Flames are 5-3 in the last eight meetings.
2) The road team has been victorious each of the last three times Liberty and VCU have faced off, with the three contests being decided by a total of nine points. The Lady Flames have prevailed each of the last two times they have met VCU at the Verizon Wirless Arena.
3) Liberty has won back-to-back road games and five consecutive contests against in-state opponents. The Lady Flames have not lost to a Commonwealth foe since a 66-54 setback at Richmond on Dec. 20, 2011.
4) First-year VCU head coach Marlene Stollings is familiar with Liberty, after being named Big South Coach of the Year at Winthrop in 2011-12. Stollings' Winthrop team went 1-1 against the Lady Flames last season.
5) Liberty has limited opponents to 25.4 percent three-point field goal shooting this season, but the Lady Flames will have their hands full on Thursday. VCU freshman Jessica Pellechio ranks No. 3 nationally with 37 three-pointers made during the first 10 games of her collegiate career. Liberty vs. VCU At a Glance Series History Series Record: VCU leads, 23-10. Current Streak: VCU won the most recent meeting. Series Record at VCU: VCU leads, 15-4. Current Streak at VCU: Liberty has won the last two meetings. Last Meeting Overall: VCU 52, Liberty 47 (Nov. 15, 2011 at Liberty) Last Meeting at VCU: Liberty 59, VCU 57 (Dec. 21, 2010) Liberty's Last Series Victory: Liberty 59, VCU 57 (Dec. 21, 2010 at VCU) VCU's Last Series Victory at Home: VCU 62, Liberty 60 (Dec. 16, 2000)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Carey Green Overall Record (Seasons): 318-107 (14th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): Same Record vs. VCU: 5-3
VCU Head Coach: Marlene Stollings Overall Record (Seasons): 23-18 (Second Season) Record at VCU (Seasons): 5-5 (First Season) Record vs. Liberty: 1-1
Notes and Anecdotes • Thursday's game will be the 34th meeting between Liberty and VCU, marking the Lady Flames' most often played non-conference rivalry. The Lady Flames are 5-3 in the teams' last eight matchups, after the Rams won 20 of the first 25 meetings.
• Liberty hopes to continue a recent trend that has seen the visiting team win the last three Lady Flames-Rams tilts (VCU 59, Liberty 57 at Liberty on Nov. 14, 2008; Liberty 59, VCU 57 at VCU on Dec. 21, 2010; VCU 52, Liberty 47 at Liberty on Nov. 15, 2011).
• The last three Liberty vs. VCU games have been decided by a total of nine points.
• This is the third straight year that Liberty has played its final pre-Christmas contest in Richmond, after playing at VCU in 2010-11 and at Richmond last season.
• First-year VCU head coach Marlene Stollings is familiar with Liberty, after being named Big South Coach of the Year at Winthrop last season. The Eagles were 1-1 against the Lady Flames in 2011-12.
• VCU is led by the inside/outside duo of 6-0 junior Robyn Parks and 5-8 freshman Jessica Pellechio. Parks is the Rams' leader in points (18.0 ppg) and rebounds (8.8 rpg), while ranking as the Atlantic 10's second-leading scorer. Pellechio has knocked down 37 triples during the first 10 contests of her college career, ranking No. 3 nationally for three-pointers made per game (3.7). Liberty vs. the Atlantic 10 Conference Record vs. Current Conference Members: 17-48 Carey Green's Record vs. Current Conference Members: 10-12 Current Streak: Liberty has lost its last four games against Atlantic 10 opponents. Last Meeting: Duquesne 63, Liberty 46 (Nov. 9, 2012 at Duquesne) Liberty's Last Victory: Liberty 73, La Salle 53 (Dec. 29, 2010 at Maryland) Note: This will be the first time Liberty has faced VCU with the Rams as an Atlantic 10 member. Commonwealth Clashes Liberty is 3-0 versus Commonwealth foes this season, defeating both Radford (67-65 on Dec. 1) and James Madison (60-48 on Dec. 4) on the road and posting a 95-39 home win over Virginia Union on Monday.
• The Lady Flames have won five straight games against Virginia squads, dating back to last season. Liberty's last loss to an in-state foe was a 66-54 setback at Richmond on Dec. 20, 2011.
• Liberty will be facing its second consecutive team hailing from Richmond, after notching a 95-39 home victory over Virginia Union, Monday afternoon.
Road Warriors Liberty has won back-to-back road games, coming away with a 67-65 triumph at Radford on Dec. 1 and prevailing 60-48 at James Madison three days later.
• The Lady Flames have played well on the road in recent years, recording 10 road victories during each of the last two seasons. A Look Back at Liberty's Win Over Virginia Union • Liberty bounced back from a Saturday loss to North Carolina A&T with a 95-39 rout of Virginia Union, Monday afternoon at the Vines Center.
• A season-high crowd of 3,230, largely comprised of local elementary and middle school students, attended the game on Best Field Trip Ever Day. It was Liberty's largest home crowd at the Vines Center since Feb. 20, 2010 (3,387).
• Liberty's 95 points were a season high and marked the most points the Lady Flames have scored since a 116-65 triumph over Glenville State on Dec. 10, 2011.
• The Lady Flames' 56-point margin of victory was its largest since a 99-42 home win over Charleston Southern on Feb. 18, 2008.
• Liberty shot a season-best 52.3 percent (34-of-65) from the field, improving to 87-1 under head coach Carey Green when shooting 50 percent or higher.
• After making just one of 23 three-point attempts during the previous two games, Liberty shot 7-of-13 (53.8 percent) from beyond the arc on Monday.
• Virginia Union shot only 27.1 percent (16-of-59) from the floor, becoming the Lady Flames' fourth opponent in the last five games to hit less than 30 percent of its field goals.
• Liberty's 24 assists set a season high and were the Lady Flames' most helpers in a game since recording 25 assists against Glenville State on Dec. 5, 2009.
• The Lady Flames outrebounded their seventh consecutive opponent, by a wide 56-29 margin.
• Devon Brown needed only 18 minutes of playing time to record her 27th career 20-point game, ending up with 22 points on the afternoon.
• Tolu Omotola's 13 rebounds equaled both her career high and the most boards by a Lady Flame this season.
Fabulous at the Free Throw Line • Liberty is shooting 75.2 percent (106-of-131) from the line during its last six games.
• Devon Brown is a perfect 22-of-22 within the last five minutes of games in 2012-13.
• For the year, the Lady Flames' free throw percentage stands at 71.8 percent, which is just shy of the team single-season record of 72.8 percent, set in 2007-08.
• A number of Liberty players are currently riding streaks of consecutive made free throws, led by Devon Brown's eight in a row. Other active streaks include those of Emily Frazier (7), LaKendra Washington (6) and Terika Lunsford (4).
• The program record for consecutive made free throws is 22, set by Jennifer Fairfax in 1991. Brown made a run at the record earlier this season, hitting 19 straight foul shots between Dec. 1-8. The Container is Half Full The Lady Flames are 1-0 this season and 87-1 under head coach Carey Green when making at least 50 percent of their field goals.
The Container is Half Empty • Liberty has played strong defense this season, limiting opponents to 34.0 percent field goal shooting. The Lady Flames have held seven consecutive foes below 50 percent from the field, with four of them shooting below 30 percent
• The Lady Flames had kept 58 straight opponents from making 50 percent of their field goals before No. 24 Texas A&M and No. 3/3 Baylor both made at least half of their shots on Nov. 20 and 23, respectively.
• Since the start of the 2007-08 season, only six teams have shot 50 percent against Liberty in 176 games. By way of comparison, the Lady Flames have shot 50 percent 48 times during that span.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram