Flames guard Tavares Speaks
Game Day Central Page
Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.)
Complete Game Notes
Video Streaming Coverage: Big South Network
Radio Coverage: Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Broadcast - Tip-Off: 2:05 p.m. vs. Charleston Southern
Flagship Station: Victory FM (88.3 FM WRVL)
Network Affiliates: Full List of Victory FM Network Affiliates
The Game The Liberty men's basketball team will step back into conference play on Saturday, playing host to Charleston Southern. The Flames will be playing a home game away from the Vines Center to close out 2011, as the contest will take place inside Randolph College's Physical Education Center.
The Buccaneers enter the contest with an 8-4 overall record and a 2-0 start in Big South action. Liberty holds a 31-20 advantage over Charleston Southern in the all-time series and is looking to extend its current six-game win streak over the Bucs. Tipoff for the New Year's Eve clash is slated for 2 p.m.
Recent Results Liberty's three game win streak come to a halt, Wednesday night, as the Flames fell to Richmond inside Robins Center, 77-61.
Despite the Flames leading for the majority of the opening half, a 12-2 Richmond run allowed the Spiders to take a four-point lead at halftime. The home team continued the trend during the second half to secure the victory over Liberty.
With the defeat, Liberty fell to 5-9 on the year, while Richmond improved to 8-6 overall and 2-1 in the all-time series.
Senior point guard Jesse Sanders inked his name in the Liberty annals for the second straight contest, becoming the 22nd member of the program's 1,000 point club. The Sugar Land, Texas native led the Flames with 14 tallies on the night, giving him 1,012 for his collegiate career.
With five assists on the night, Sanders also surpassed Matt Hildebrand (583, 1991-94) for second all-time on Liberty's career assist listing. Sanders currently has 586 for his Liberty career.
Watch and Listen to the Flames There will be a Flames Sports Network radio broadcast (flagship WRVL 88.3 FM) for Saturday's contest, with Alan York providing the play-by-play. In addition to the radio broadcast, an Internet audio broadcast on LibertyFlames.com will be available. A live video stream will also be available on the Big South Network.
Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 31-20 Current Streak: Liberty has won the last six contests Liberty Series Record at Home: 19-8 Last Meeting: Liberty 70, Charleston Southern 69 (Feb. 5, 2011) Last Meeting at Home: Liberty 68, Charleston Southern 54 (Jan. 6, 2011) Last Charleston Southern Victory: Charleston Southern 87, Liberty 82 (Feb. 18, 2008)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Dale Layer Overall Record (Seasons): 309-231 (19th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): 39-38 Record vs. Charleston Southern: 4-0
Charleston Southern Head Coach: Barclay Radebaugh Overall Record (Seasons): 98-123 (Eighth Season) Record at CSU (Seasons): 77-115 (Seventh Season) Record vs. Liberty: 3-9
Notes and Anecdotes - Prior to coaching at Charleston Southern, Barclay Radebaugh spent one season at Queens University in Charlotte, leading the Royals to a 21-8 record. Queens is also where Liberty head coach Dale Layer began his coaching career in 1989. Layer spent nine seasons at Queens, amassing a 167-87 record and reaching the NCAA Division II Tournament on two occasions, including the Sweet 16 in 1996.
- Prior to Radaebaugh taking over at the helm of the Buccaneers' program, current Liberty Director of Operations Jim Platt spent five seasons as the head coach at Charleston Southern (2000-05), finishing his stint with a 55-89 record. Platt was 5-7 in games against the Flames, but defeated No. 2 seed Liberty inside the Vines Center in the 2005 Big South Quarterfinals. Platt took his No. 7 seed Buccaneers all the way to the finals, falling to Winthrop, 68-46.
- Charleston Southern is second in the conference in rebounding (37.9 rpg), but the Flames are third in rebounding defense (32.5).
- The Buccaneers have not won a game on the road against the Flames since Radebaugh's first season. That year, Charleston Southern defeated Liberty inside the Vines Center, 61-45 (Feb. 11, 2006).
- Last season, Jesse Sanders averaged 10.5 points, 8.0 rebounds and 7.5 assists against the Buccaneers.
- Playing inside Randolph College's gym on Saturday, Liberty hosted the Wildcats earlier this season, earning the 81-58 victory. News and Notes from Liberty's game versus Richmond (Dec. 28) - Senior point guard Jesse Sanders inked his name in the Liberty annals for the second straight contest, becoming the 22nd member of the program's 1,000 point club. The Sugar Land, Texas native led the Flames with 14 tallies on the night, giving him 1,012 for his collegiate career. Sanders' momentous basket came with 13:11 remaining in the half, sinking a layup to enter into Liberty's 1,000 point club. - With five assists on the night, Jesse Sanders also surpassed Matt Hildebrand (583, 1991-94) for second all-time on Liberty's career assist listing. Sanders currently has 586 for his Liberty career.
- The Flames jumped out to an 8-0 run during the early moments of the game, receiving buckets from David Minaya, John Caleb Sanders and Antwan Burrus.
- Despite the Flames leading for the majority of the opening half, a 12-2 Richmond run allowed the Spiders to take a four-point lead at halftime.
- Liberty shot 57.1 percent (12-of-21) in the second half, finishing with a season-high 54.3 percent (25-of-46). The Spiders ended the night on 52.9 percent shooting (27-of-51). The Flames won the rebounding battle on the night, 28-23. - Along with Jesse Sanders' 14 points, Antwan Burrus ended the night with 13 tallies and eight rebounds. Miscellaneous Notes - Jesse Sanders is currently leading the Flames in points (12.6 ppg), rebounds (7.8 rpg) and assists (8.1 apg).
- The Flames enters Wednesday's matchup with a balanced offensive attack, with five players averaging double scoring figures.
- Jesse Sanders is third in the country in assists, averaging 8.1 per game. Sanders is the only player in the country averaging at least seven rebounds and seven assists per game.
- Last season, John Caleb Sanders posted 126 points on the year. The sophomore guard currently has 166 tallies through the first 14 games this season. Sanders' minutes are up dramatically this season. After averaging 12.4 minutes per game in 2010-11, the Sugar Land, Texas native is averaging 25.4 per game, this year.
- In Wednesday's game versus Richmond, Jesse Sanders missed his first free throw since the first half of Liberty's game against UNC Wilmington (Dec. 6), halting a streak of 24 consecutive free throws made. Prior to Sanders' streak, the last time a Liberty player made at least 20 consecutive free throws was when Kyle Ohman did so from Nov. 13 to Nov. 24.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram