Flames point guard Jesse Sanders needs just 10 points to become the 22nd member of Liberty's 1,000 point club.
Game Day Central Page Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.) Complete Game Notes Television Coverage: Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Liberty Channel - Local Coverage (WTLU regionally in Lynchburg market) Game will be Carried Live
Video Streaming Coverage: Big South Network
Radio Coverage: Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Broadcast - Tip-Off: 7:05 p.m. vs. Montreat
Flagship Station: Victory FM (88.3 FM WRVL)
Network Affiliates: Full List of Victory FM Network Affiliates
The Game Fresh off a win over Hampton, the Liberty men's basketball team is looking for three in a row on Tuesday. Dale Layer's squad will match up with NAIA member Montreat of the Appalachian Athletic Conference. The Flames are 6-0 all-time against the Cavaliers, with their last victory occurring on Nov. 14, 2008 (97-77). Senior point guard Jesse Sanders, who made his Liberty debut in that game, looks to become the 22nd member of Liberty's 1,000 point-club, needing just 10 tallies heading into Tuesday's meeting. Tipoff for the contest is slated for 7 p.m.
Recent Results The Liberty men's basketball team picked up a key non-conference win, defeating Hampton inside the Vines Center, Saturday night, 74-65.
Liberty's victory over the Pirates is its first at home versus Hampton and ties the all-time series at 2-2. With the victory, the Flames move to 4-8 overall on the season, while Hampton falls to 4-7 on the season.
Jesse Sanders led all scorers with a season-high 22 points, adding nine assists and seven rebounds. David Bruce finished with 20 points and nine rebounds for the Pirates, followed by Mike Tuitt, who added 14 tallies. Liberty's defense held Pirates leading scorer Darrion Pellum, who was averaging 19.4 ppg coming into the game, to a season-low six points.
In addition to the win, the Flames set a new Vines Center record, going 18-of-18 (1.000) from the free throw line.
Watch and Listen to the Flames Liberty's clash with the Cavaliers will be broadcast live on the Liberty Channel. Mike Tilley will serve as the play-by-play announcer, while Matt Hildebrand will handle color commentary. The game will also be video streamed live on the Big South Network.
There will be a Flames Sports Network radio broadcast (flagship WRVL 88.3 FM) for Saturday's contest, with Alan York providing the play-by-play. In addition to the radio broadcast, an Internet audio broadcast on LibertyFlames.com will be available.
Series History Series Record: Liberty leads, 6-0 Current Streak: Liberty is on a six game win streak Liberty Series Record at the Vines Center: 6-0 Last Meeting: Liberty 97, Montreat 77 (Nov. 14, 2008) Last Meeting at Liberty: Liberty 97, Montreat 77 (Nov. 14, 2008)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Dale Layer Overall Record (Seasons): 308-230 (19th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): 38-37 Record vs. Montreat: 0-0
Montreat Head Coach: Lincoln Walters Overall Record (Seasons): 12-28 (Second Season) Record at Montreat (Seasons): Same Record vs. Liberty: 0-0
Notes and Anecdotes - The Flames opened the 2008-09 season against Montreat on Nov. 14, 2008, winning 97-77. In his Liberty debut, Seth Curry posted 23 points, seven steals, six assists and five rebounds. Curry's steals total tied a Vines Center record for thefts.
- Current Flames point guard Jesse Sanders also made his Liberty debut that night, posting nine points, six rebounds, three assists and one steal in 20 minutes of action. Sanders is the only current member of the Flames who played in the contest.
- Liberty enters Tuesday's contest with a 21-8 record all-time against current members of the Appalachian Athletic Conference (AAC). The Flames are 9-6 against Bluefield, 2-2 against Bryan, 6-0 against Montreat, 1-0 against Union College and 3-0 against Virginia Intermont.
- The Flames just recently faced another AAC squad, defeating Virginia Intermont on Dec. 10, 78-60. Antwan Burrus led the Flames with 19 points. Jesse Sanders finished with 12 points, 12 boards and nine assists.
News and Notes from Liberty's game versus Hampton (Dec. 17) - Jesse Sanders paced Liberty with a season-high 22 points, while also chipping in nine assists and seven rebounds. Sanders' point total was the second highest of his career.
- John Caleb Sanders recorded a career high eight rebounds, surpassing his previous best of five.
- Tomasz Gielo made his Liberty debut after missing the first month of the season due to injury. The freshman posted nine points in 27 minutes on 4-of-5 shooting from the field.
- Liberty's defense held Pirates leading scorer Darrion Pellum, who was averaging 19.4 ppg coming into the game, to a season-low six points.
- Coming into the contest shooting 67.4 percent from the foul line, Liberty went 18-for-18 (100.0 percent) at the charity stripe, finishing perfect from the line for the first time since the 2008-09 campaign, when the Flames went 8-for-8 at Old Dominion (Feb 21, 2009). - Liberty's performance from the free throw line set a new Vines Center record, surpassing the previous mark set against High Point in the Big South Championship game on March 6, 2004 (13-of-13, 1.000). The Flames' perfect night from the charity stripe marks the second most free throws without a miss in a single game by a Big South squad. Only UNC Asheville has had a better performance, hitting 24-of-24 against High Point on Feb. 18, 2000.
Miscellaneous Notes - Jesse Sanders is looking to become the 22nd member of Liberty's 1,000-point club, needing just 10 more tallies.
- The Flames enters Tuesday's matchup with a balanced offensive attack, with five players averaging double scoring figures.
- Jesse Sanders is third in the country in assists, averaging 7.8 per game. Sanders is the only player in the country averaging at least seven rebounds and seven assists per game.
- Last season, John Caleb Sanders posted 126 points on the year. The sophomore guard currently has 138 tallies through the first 12 games this season. Sanders' minutes are up dramatically this season. After averaging 12.4 minutes per game in 2010-11, the Sugar Land, Texas native is averaging 25.8 per game, this year.
- Through the first 12 games, Liberty has had seven different starting lineups.
- Liberty's opponents have shot 50 percent or better from the field in four games this season.
- Before shooting a perfect game from the free throw line this past Saturday (18-fo-18, 1.000), Liberty had not shot over 65 percent from the charity stripe in its last three games.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram