Flames guard Chene Phillips
Game Day Central Page Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.) Complete Game Notes Television Coverage: Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Liberty Channel - Local Coverage (WTLU regionally in Lynchburg market) Game will be Carried Live
MASN – Regional Coverage Game will be Carried Live
Video Streaming Coverage: Big South Network
Radio Coverage: Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Broadcast - Tip-Off: 7:05 p.m. vs. Hampton
Flagship Station: Victory FM (88.3 FM WRVL)
Network Affiliates: Full List of Victory FM Network Affiliates
The Game After snapping a seven-game skid, the Liberty men's basketball team returns to action this Saturday to take on MEAC member Hampton. The contest marks the Pirates' first appearance in the Vines Center in nearly 16 years.
Dale Layer's squad looks to even the series against Hampton, while also avenging last year's 62-59 thriller inside the HU Convocation Center (Dec. 22, 2010). Despite Liberty leading for the entire contest, Hampton's Kwame Morgan knocked down back-to-back clutch three-pointers, hitting the game-winning shot with less than two seconds remaining. Tip-off for the rematch inside the Vines Center is slated for 7 p.m.
Recent Results The Liberty men's basketball team snapped its seven-game losing skid, last Saturday night, defeating Virginia Intermont in the Vines Center, 78-60.
With the scored tied at 37 with 15:59 remaining in the contest, the Flames proceeded to go on a 14-0 run over the next 4:34 to eventually seal the win.
The Flames' victory moved Liberty to 3-8 on the year. Liberty is now 3-0 all-time against the Cobras.
Antwan Burrus paced the Flames with 19 points while adding 10 boards, finishing one tally shy of tying his career high in scoring.
Watch and Listen to the Flames Liberty's clash with the Pirates will be broadcast live on the Liberty Channel and MASN. Ray Jones will serve as the play-by-play announcer, while Tim Scarborough will handle color commentary. The game will also be video streamed live on the Big South Network.
There will be a Flames Sports Network radio broadcast (flagship WRVL 88.3 FM) for Saturday's contest, with Alan York providing the play-by-play. In addition to the radio broadcast, an Internet audio broadcast on LibertyFlames.com will be available. Series History Series Record: Hampton leads, 2-1 Current Streak: Hampton won the most recent meeting Liberty's Last Victory: Liberty 69, Hampton 42 (Dec. 16, 1996) Liberty Series Record at the Vines Center: 0-1 Last Meeting: Hampton 62, Liberty 59 (Dec. 22, 2010) Last Meeting at Liberty: Hampton 77, Liberty 72 (Feb. 1, 1996)
Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Dale Layer Overall Record (Seasons): 307-230 (19th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): 37-37 Record vs. Hampton: 0-1
Hampton Head Coach: Edward Joyner, Jr. Overall Record (Seasons): 42-33 (Third Seaon) Record at Hampton (Seasons): Same Record vs. Liberty: 1-0
Notes and Anecdotes - Hampton's leading scorer, Darrion Pellum, sat out during Liberty's meeting with the Pirates last season. - Despite the Flames leading by as much as 18 points in the first half against Hampton on Dec. 22, 2010, a 13-0 run allowed the Pirates to climb back into the contest. A three-pointer by Kwame Morgan tied the contest at 59 with 42 seconds left. Another trey with less than two ticks on the clock gave Hampton its only lead in the game en route to the 62-59 decision. - Joel Vander Pol scored 14 points in last year's contest, but is not expected to see action in Saturday's meeting. - The Pirates have matched up against one Big South program already, this season, defeating High Point, 68-64, on Nov. 29. - Hampton steps into the Vines Center for the first time in nearly 16 years. - Liberty currently holds a 10-5 record over current members of the MEAC. The Flames are 2-0 against Coppin State, 0-1 against Delaware State, 1-0 against Florida A&M, 1-2 against Hampton, 2-0 versus Howard, 2-0 versus Maryland-Eastern Shore, 1-0 against Morgan State and 1-2 against Norfolk State.
News and Notes from Liberty's game versus Virginia Intermont (Dec. 10)
- Antwan Burrus paced the Flames with 19 points while adding 10 boards, finishing one tally shy of tying his career high in scoring.
- Liberty jumped out to an 11-0 lead in the opening nine minutes, receiving baskets from four different Flames.
- In addition to his 12-point scoring effort, Jesse Sanders finished one assist shy of a fourth career triple-double, while leading all players with 12 boards and nine helpers.
- Liberty finished the contest with its second best shooting performance of the season, hitting 30-of-60 shots (50.0 percent) from the field, while holding the Cobras to 37.1 percent shooting (23-of-62). The Flames ended the night with its most points in the paint this season, winning the battle inside, 46-26.
- Stephen Baird received his first collegiate start finishing with nine points, four rebounds and three steals in 28 minutes of action
- The Flames enters Saturday's matchup with a balanced offensive attack, with five players averaging double scoring figures.
- Jesse Sanders is fourth in the country in assists, averaging 7.6 per game. Sanders is the only player in the country averaging at least seven rebounds and seven assists per game.
- During Liberty's seven game losing skid, Liberty's opponents led for an average of 36 minutes. The Flames led for an average of just under three minutes.
- Last season, John Caleb Sanders posted 126 points on the year. The sophomore guard currently has 124 tallies through the first 11 games this season. Sanders' minutes are up dramatically this season. After averaging 12.4 minutes per game in 2010-11, the Sugar Land, Texas native is averaging 26.1 per game, this year.
- Through the first 11 games, Liberty has had seven different starting lineups.
- Freshman forward Tomasz Gielo is expected to the lineup soon after missing the start of the season due to an arm injury.
- Liberty's opponents have shot 50 percent or better from the field in four games this season.
- The last time Liberty started the season 2-8 was the 2004-05 season. Liberty finished the year 13-15 and 11-5 in Big South play.
- The last time Liberty started the season 1-4 at home was the 1998-99 season. Liberty finished the year 4-23 and 0-10 in Big South play.
- Liberty's seven-game losing skid was the first since the 2006-07 season. The Flames experienced an eight-game setback that year after starting the season 6-1.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram