Flames guard Tavares Speaks
Game Day Central Page Note: Includes all important Game Day links (live video, live audio, live stats, etc.) Complete Game Notes Video Streaming Coverage: GeorgiaStateSports.com
Radio Coverage: Provided by the Flames Sports Network
Broadcast - Tip-Off: 7:30 p.m. vs. Georgia State
Flagship Station: Victory FM (88.3 FM WRVL)
Network Affiliates: Full List of Victory FM Network Affiliates The Game Looking to bounce back from a three-game losing skid in the Vines Center, the Liberty men's basketball team will hit the road to take on Georgia State, Saturday. The contest marks the first-ever meeting between the Flames and the Panthers. Game time inside Sports Arena is slated for 7:30 p.m.
Recent Results The Liberty men's basketball team suffered its third-straight defeat, Sunday afternoon, falling to William & Mary in the Vines Center, 65-64. The final matchup of the 2K Sports Classic benefiting Coaches vs. Cancer came down to a game of free throws. With the Tribe holding a one-point edge after an old-fashioned three-point play by Quinn McDowell, John Caleb Sanders had a chance to sink the game-winning basket after being fouled at the other end with one second remaining. Unfortunately, the sophomore was unable to connect on either free throw attempt, as the visitors hung on to win. Jesse Sanders achieved a career milestone for the third straight game, surpassing the 900-point mark. The Sugar Land, Texas native reached the mark with two free throws with 6:59 left in the first half. He now has 908 tallies as a Flame. Tavares Speaks led Liberty with 13 points, while McDowell paced the Tribe with 18. With the defeat, Liberty fell to 2-4 on the season.
Watch and Listen to the Flames Saturday's contest will be video streamed live via Panther Insider and available on GeorgiaStateSports.com. There will be a Flames Sports Network radio broadcast (flagship WRVL 88.3 FM) for the weekend's contests, with Alan York providing the play-by-play. In addition to the radio broadcast, an Internet audio broadcast on LibertyFlames.com will be available. Coaching Matchup Liberty Head Coach: Dale Layer Overall Record (Seasons): 306-226 (19th Season) Record at Liberty (Seasons): 36-33 Record vs. Georgia State: First Meeting
Georgia State Head Coach: Ron Hunter Overall Record (Seasons): 276-222 (18th Season) Record at Georgia State (Seasons): 3-2 (First Season) Record vs. Liberty: First Meeting
Notes and Anecdotes - Georgia State Coach Ron Hunter received national attention for his support of Samaritan's Feet, an organization that collects shoes for underprivileged children. While at IUPUI, Hunter coached barefoot against Oakland on Jan. 24, 2008, helping collect 250,000 pairs of shoes. The Flames have also actively supported Samaritan's Feet. During the 2009-10 season Jesse Sanders spoke to the entire student body in an effort to raise support for the organization.
- Liberty is looking to bounce back from a three-game losing skid, while Georgia State hopes to build upon two consecutive victories.
- In Georgia State's most recent game against Samford this past Tuesday, Jihad Ali led the Panthers with 20 points off the bench.
- Liberty is 15-37 all-time against current CAA schools. The Panthers are one-of-three CAA schools on the Flames' docket this year. Liberty has split contests with William & Mary this season and will host UNC Wilmington on Dec. 6. Miscellaneous Notes - Liberty's three losses in the 2K Sports Classic last week mark the first time the Flames have dropped three consecutive contests at home since the 2005-06 season. That year, Liberty fell to Radford (60-50, Jan. 7, 2006), Marist (83-69, Jan. 10, 2006) and Birmingham Southern (61-51, Jan. 21, 2006). The Flames finished the season, 7-23.
- Last season, the Flames began the year with a 2-4. Liberty won its next four games and ended the year with a 19-13 record and a 13-5 posting in conference play.
- During the 2010-11 season, Liberty did not drop three-straight contests until the end of the year, when it lost to VMI (79-69, Feb. 15), Iona (77-57, Feb. 19) and Winthrop (61-56, Feb. 24). The Flames ended the season on a five-game losing skid, also falling to Presbyterian and High Point.
- Antwan Burrus' numbers are up considerably from last season. Finishing the 2010-11 season with 6.5 points and 4.2 rebounds per game, Burrus is currently averaging 10.2 points and the Flames second-leading rebounder with 6.2 boards.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram