Scores & Schedule Close keyboard_arrow_down

Team News

#1 Winthrop Defeats #4 Liberty in Overtime to Advance to The Finals of the 2006 Big South Men's Soccer Tournament

November 3, 2006  Radford, Va.  RSS
|   Share
Adrian Bumbut scored his fifth goal of the season.

Adrian Bumbut scored his fifth goal of the season.

Winthrop's Henry Kalungi's goal from 35 yards out seven minutes into overtime pushed the No. 1 seeded Eagles past the No. 4 seeded Liberty Flames, 2-1, in the fifth game of the 2006 Big South Men's Soccer Tournament Thursday night at Patrick D. Cupp Stadium on the campus of Radford University.

The setback snaps a five-game win streak by the Flames and ends Liberty's season at 9-6. With the win, Winthrop improves to 14-2-3 and advances to face the winner of the No. 2 seeded Coastal Carolina and No. 6 seed High Point slated for later tonight on Sunday afternoon at 2:00pm in the finals.

In a match in which scoring opportunities were at a premium, Kalungi gathered up a pass from Otto Loewy in the middle of the field, turned toward the middle, lined up the shot and put the ball in the upper left corner just out of the keeper's reach to pick up the 2-1 win.

Liberty took an early advantage 12 minutes into the contest. Midfielder Adrian Bumbut (Sr., Zalau, Romania) gave the Flames a 1-0 lead on a header from eight yards out off a corner kick service by Brandon Patterson (Jr., MF, Lakeland, Fla.). It was Bumbut's second goal of the championship and his fifth of the season.

Behind another strong defensive effort, the Flames took its advantage into intermission as Liberty outshot Winthrop, 4-0, in the first half.

In the second half, Eagles were able to get some offense going in the second half and were able to convert one of its six-second half shots. Kalungi scored the first of his two goals in the 78th minute as he struck a one-time shot into the top left corner to knot the match at 1-1.

Pressing to tie the contest, Winthrop pushed forward in attempts to tie and get more shot opportunities. Off a pass into the left side of the 18-yard box, Daniel Revivo redirected the service into the middle of the box where Kalungi was waiting on the ball.

Minutes before the Eagles tied the game, Liberty forward Toby Lewis (Jr., Morrison, Colo.) broke free down the middle of the field for a one-on-one with Winthrop goalkeeper Patrick Mitrovich. Lewis tried to place the ball into to the lower right corner, but Mitrovich made the save to keep Winthrop in the game.

Liberty posted nine shots and the Eagles notched seven shots on the evening. Winthrop held the edge in corner kicks, 5-3.

Winthrop goalkeeper Mitrovich posted three saves, while Liberty netter Kevin Mahan (Sr., Waterford, Mich.) recorded three saves.


Winthrop Coach Rich Posipanko
"I thought we played pretty poorly in the first half. It was not one of our better halves. In the second half we came out and played the way I thought we would from the beginning. The second half and overtime was a great college game to watch. Give credit to the Flames as they played very hard. We just feel fortunate to get the win."

Liberty Coach Jeff Alder
"This one will sting all year. It wasn't our greatest performance, but we still had a chance to put them away. Winthrop is the class of our League. They got two fantastic shots from a great player. It is a very tough loss."