Scores & Schedule Close keyboard_arrow_down

Team News

Liberty-VMI Play to Scoreless Tie

October 18, 2011  Lynchburg, Va.  RSS
|   Share
|   Photos
Uriah Bentick

Uriah Bentick

The Liberty Flames and the VMI Keydets battled to a 0-0, two overtime tie, in a Big South men's soccer match, Tuesday night at Osborne Stadium.

With the draw, Liberty goes to 2-2-1 in Big South Conference play and 7-4-1 overall. VMI moves to 1-4-1 in conference action and 1-11-2 overall.  It is the second consecutive season, the Flames and Keydets have gone to overtime, as Liberty won 1-0 in overtime last year at VMI.

The two sides exchanged shot attempts during the opening 20 minutes. During the fifth minute, Liberty midfielder Phillip Aseweh pushed a pass into the 18-yard box from forward Travis Joseph past the far left post. A shot by VMI midfielder Matt Seinfeld went wide in 15th minute.

During the 27th minute, Liberty defender Uriah Bentick rocketed a shot off the crossbar from 25 yards out.  The rebound came free, but was safely cleared by the Keydet defense to relieve the Flames' pressure.

In the 40th minute, VMI forward Peyton Dekker jumped in front of a Liberty clearing pass and fired a shot from the top right corner of the penalty area.  The attempt deflected off a defender in front and almost found the net, hitting the post and going out of bounds for a corner kick, which the host Flames cleared.

Liberty outshot VMI, 6-3, and held a 2-1 advantage in corner kicks during the first half of play.

The Flames pressured the VMI goal, firing five shots on the attack over the opening 15 minutes of the second half.  The middle shot of the five by Bentick forced a save by Keydet goalkeeper Taylor Feuerstein during the 56th minute.

VMI, which was held without a shot in the second half, countered a Liberty attack during the 62nd minute, resulting in a corner kick. However, the Flames cleared the kick without allowing a shot by the Keydets.

Liberty's Bentick pushed a shot in transition just to the left, wide of the post, from 25 yards away during the 76th minute. Later, an attempt by forward Darren Amoo sailed wide past the far post during the 87th minute, sending the contest to overtime.

In the first extra 10-minute session, Feuerstein was kept busy by the Flames. In the 93rd minute, a shot by Aseweh was stopped by a diving save by the Keydet goalkeeper. A minute later, midfielder Juan F. Niño ripped a shot from the top of the box, which Feuerstein grabbed.

During the 99th minute, Amoo and Aseweh used give-and-go passing to manufacture a shot attempt, but Feuerstein came off his goal line to stop an attempt by Amoo, sending the contest to another extra period.

In the second 10-minute session, Feurstein stopped Aseweh from six yards out during the opening minute of the period. The rebound dropped to Amoo, who lifted an attempt over the net.

A shot by VMI's Seinfeld was lifted over the net from the top of the 18-yard box in the 104th minute of the play, while a header by Liberty defender Greg White went wide off a corner kick in the 107th minute.

After the White attempt, play settled in the midfield, as time ran out.

Liberty outshot VMI, 23-5, in the contest and held a 9-3 advantage in corner kicks.

Scott Sutarik did not record a save during the 110 minutes in the Liberty goal, while Fueurstein made five saves for the Keydets.

The Flames will host the Winthrop Eagles in a Big South contest, Saturday afternoon at Osborne Stadium.  Match time is scheduled for 2 p.m.