Scores & Schedule Close keyboard_arrow_down

Team News

Liberty Ties Winthrop, 1-1

October 25, 2008  Rock Hill, S.C.  RSS
|   Share
Goalkeeper Ashley Nyholt made five saves in tie at Wintrop Saturday.

Goalkeeper Ashley Nyholt made five saves in tie at Wintrop Saturday.

In a tightly played match, the Liberty Lady Flames and Winthrop Eagles each scored a goal during the first 24 minutes, then both teams' defenses took over, battling to a 1-1, two-overtime tie in a Big South women's soccer match at Eagle Field, Saturday evening.

The final conference game for the Lady Flames, Liberty finishes Big South play at 2-6-1 and moves to 2-12-2 overall. Winthrop advances to 3-3-2 in conference play and 8-8-2 overall.

Liberty opened the contest on the attack, firing the first three shots of the game. The middle shot of the flurry by Maria Owen (So., MF/F, Mount Jackson, Va.) in the seventh minute forced the first save of the contest by Winthrop goalkeeper Dimitra Poulos.

After a Liberty foul in the penalty area in the 16th minute, the Eagles got on the scoreboard on the ensuing penalty kick. Midfielder Erin Foote converted the kick for her fourth goal of the season and a 1-0 host advantage.

Liberty countered with three shots immediately after the Eagle tally, and cashed in on its third attempt. Amy Oberlin (Sr., F, Ada, Mich.) began the span with a shot, which Poulos turned away in the 20th minute.

Oberlin then had her second shot of the contest blocked in front by a Winthrop defender in the 24th minute. The ball deflected to Liberty teammate Silvia Betancourt (Fr., F, San Jose, Costa Rica), who blasted a shot past the out-of-position Poulos for her fourth goal of the year, tying the contest at 1-1 at 23:42.

Winthrop closed the half by taking four unanswered shots. Midfielder Chelsea Tidwell had her shot bounce off the post and out of harm's way in the 34th minute, while another attempt by Ann Lutzenkirchen in the 42nd minute was stopped by Liberty keeper Ashley Nyholt (So., GK, Brampton, Ont.).

In the second half, neither team was able to score, as both defenses tightened. Only six shots were attempted in the stanza, four by the Eagles and two by the Lady Flames.

A shot by Maggie Woody (Jr., MF, Asheville, N.C.) was turned away by Poulos in the 51st minute, while an attempt by Owen with time expiring in the second half was blocked by a Winthrop defender.
Nyholt made two saves on shots by Eagles in the half. The Liberty netminder stopped an attempt by Tidwell in the 51st minute and later, turned away a shot by Kyrie Weant in the 56th minute.

In the first overtime period, Poulos made a save on the Lady Flames' lone shot of the 10-minute frame, an attempt by Owen in the 95th minute. Meanwhile, Nyholt made two stops during the last four minutes of extra period for Liberty, sending the contest to a second overtime.

In the second extra frame, Liberty's Ashley Braam (Sr., MF, Grand Rapids, Mich.) fired a shot in the final minute of play, which Poulos stopped, keeping the score tied at 1-1.

Not only was the game even on the scoreboard, but shots were also even in the game, with each team attempting 12. Liberty did hold a large edge in corner kicks, 17-4.

Nyholt recorded five saves for the Lady Flames in the contest, while Poulos made five stops for the Eagles.

Liberty returns home for its final game of the regular season, Friday night. The Lady Flames will host East Tennessee State in a non-conference game at Liberty Soccer Field. Before the contest, the seniors playing in their final home game in a Liberty uniform will be honored. Game time is scheduled for 7 p.m.