Kara Canetto went 1-for-3 against Texas.
Liberty, taking on the No. 1 team in the nation for the third time this season, fell by a 2-0 score to the top-ranked Texas Longhorns on Friday at McCombs Field.
The Longhorns improve to 21-3 on the season with the win, while Liberty (8-12) saw its seven-game winning streak come to an end.
Liberty has faced 11 nationally-ranked opponents so far this season, going 2-9 against Top 25 teams.
Scoring Summary Texas – 4th INNING – Washington doubles, Rhodes scores, 1-0
Texas – 4th INNING – Jefferson singles, Ellsworth advances, Washington scores, 2-0
Notable Numbers - Texas outhit Liberty 10-4, while the Longhorns committed the game's lone error. Texas left nine runners on base while the Lady Flames stranded five.
- Miranda Elish (10-3) tossed a four-hit shutout, striking out four and walking one. - Karlie Keeney (4-5) drew the loss, allowing two runs on 10 hits, walking three and striking out two. - Janae Jefferson hit 3-for-3 with one RBI, while Kaitlyn Washington went 2-for-2 with two doubles, one RBI and one run scored. Taylor Ellsworth batted 2-for-3.
- Four Lady Flames managed one hit each, while Autumn Bishop doubled.
Turning Point - Liberty had a scoring chance in the top of the second, as Autumn Bishop led off with a double and went to third on a sacrifice bunt. The Lady Flames were unable to push her across.
- Texas finally broke through in the fourth inning. Shannon Rhodes led off with a single before a sacrifice bunt sent her to second. Washington hit an RBI double and later scored on a two-out single by Jefferson for a 2-0 lead.
Beyond the Box Score - Liberty's previous two meetings with a team ranked No. 1 in the nation at the time were Feb. 14, when the Lady Flames fell 10-6 to Washington and Feb. 15, when No. 1 UCLA defeated Liberty, 9-1.
- Texas leads the all-time series 1-0 over Liberty, as these two teams met for the first time today. - Autumn Bishop is now tied with Ashley Williams (2005-08) for the program record with 52 career doubles. - Canetto has batted .455 (15-for-33) against Top 25 teams this season.
- Keeney has posted a 2.91 ERA versus nationally-ranked opponents.
- Liberty had not allowed a run in 17 innings before Texas scored in the fourth inning of today's game. Liberty's last run allowed before that came when East Caroline hit a two-run homer in the fourth inning on Sunday. Liberty scored 21 unanswered runs before the Longhorns' two-run fourth.
Up Next The Lady Flames play twice tomorrow, taking on New Mexico at 4 p.m. Eastern Time before facing the host No. 1 Texas Longhorns at 6:30 p.m.