Top Plays Coach Green Postgame Press Conference Keyen Green Postgame Press Conference Ashtyn Baker Postgame Press Conference Playing at home for the first time in 39 days, Liberty leaned heavily upon a pair of juniors during an 85-76 victory over Jacksonville, Saturday afternoon at the Vines Center. Keyen Green posted season highs for points (29) and rebounds (16) and tallied her 1,000th career point while Ashtyn Baker scored a career-high 21 points, pulled down a career-high nine boards and dished out seven assists for the Lady Flames.
Liberty improves to 9-7 overall and 2-1 in ASUN play after successfully bouncing back from a Monday loss at No. 25 FGCU in its ASUN home opener. Winners of seven of their last eight contests, the Lady Flames were dominant in rebounding (+17 margin) and points in the paint (48) and second chance points (20) versus the Dolphins, setting season highs in all three categories.
Jacksonville falls to 8-7 overall and 0-2 in the ASUN despite an outstanding 24-point outing by sophomore guard Destiny Marshall. The Dolphins trimmed a 20-point second-half deficit to five but could not complete the comeback and lost to the Lady Flames for the third straight time.
Box Score Highlights Other Liberty Individuals: Bridgette Rettstatt – 10 points, 5-7 FG; Asia Todd – 8 points, 2-4 3FG.
Other Jacksonville Individuals: Shalonda Neely – 13 points; Jada Perry – 7 points, 8 rebounds, 5 blocked shots.
Key Team Stats: Liberty's 85 points marked a season high and equaled the most points the Lady Flames have ever scored in an ASUN game. Jacksonville's 76 points matched James Madison's total from Nov. 24 for the most Liberty has allowed this season. Both teams shot well from the field, as Liberty finished at 47.6 percent (30-of-63) and Jacksonville countered at 43.5 percent (27-of-62). After shooting just 6-of-15 from the foul line during Monday's setback at FGCU, Liberty got to the line a season-high 32 times on Saturday, connecting 19 times for 59.4 percent.
Turning Point Da'Nasia Shaw's three-pointer with 8:43 remaining in the contest pulled the Dolphins within five points (64-59), closing out her team's 24-9 run which spanned the third and fourth quarters.
Liberty then halted Jacksonville's furious comeback with a 10-2 run. Green scored three of her 12 fourth-quarter points during the surge. Rettstatt then put back a missed free throw with 5:44 remaining, bolstering the home team's advantage to 13 (74-61). Liberty's lead remained in double figures until the game's closing seconds.
Game Summary First Quarter • A high-scoring first quarter featured five ties and six lead changes. Ashtyn Baker scored eight points during the period, which saw Liberty shoot 60 percent (9-of-15). But Jacksonville's Destiny Marshall and Shalonda Neely countered with seven points apiece, helping the Dolphins emerge with a 21-20 edge.
Second Quarter • Nenna Lindstrom's four-point play at the 3:23 mark ignited the Lady Flames' 11-0 run late in the half. Liberty led by as many as 15 before taking a 42-29 halftime lead.
• After a hot start at the offensive end, Jacksonville managed only eight second-quarter points on 26.7 percent (4-of-15) shooting.
Third Quarter • Keyen Green scored five points during a 10-0 Liberty run, including a layup which gave the Lady Flames their largest lead of the afternoon (55-35) with 5:06 remaining in the third period.
• The Dolphins fashioned an 11-1 run of their own late in the quarter to get back into the game. Marshall scored 14 third-quarter points for Jacksonville, helping trim her team's deficit to 62-55.
Fourth Quarter • Green was superb during the final 10 minutes, totaling a dozen points and three rebounds while making six of her 10 free throw attempts. Her 1,000th point came on a foul shot with 1:45 remaining in the game.
Keyen Green scores her 1,000th point from the foul line, wrapping up a 29-point, 16-rebound afternoon! #WeAreLIBERTY #ASUNWBB pic.twitter.com/ITQDysOgSx — Liberty WBasketball (@LibertyWBB) January 11, 2020
Keyen Green scores her 1,000th point from the foul line, wrapping up a 29-point, 16-rebound afternoon! #WeAreLIBERTY #ASUNWBB pic.twitter.com/ITQDysOgSx
Notes and Nuggets • Green, who finished the game with 1,001 career points, is the 16th Lady Flame to reach the milestone and the first since Ashley Rininger on Feb. 21, 2015.
• Green finished just one off her career-high totals for both points and rebounds. Her rebounding effort moved her into 20th place in program history with 563 career boards.
• Green's 29 points were the most by a Lady Flame since her career-high 30-point effort during a Jan. 20, 2018 home win over Campbell.
• Green was the first Lady Flame with at least 20 points and 15 rebounds in the same game since March 10, 2012. That day, Avery Warley finished with 20 points and 22 boards during a Big South Championship matchup with Charleston Southern.
• Eleven of Green's rebounds came at the offensive end, making her the first Lady Flame with double-digit offensive caroms since Katelyn Adams grabbed 10 offensive boards at Coastal Carolina on Jan. 19, 2016.
• Green finished 9-of-20 from the free throw line. Her 20 attempts set a Liberty single-game record and a new Vines Center record. Both records previously stood at 18.
• Green scored 18 of her 29 points after halftime. She is now averaging 21.0 ppg through three ASUN games, including 14.7 ppg during the second half during conference play.
• Green and Baker became the first Liberty duo to score 20+ points during the same game since Dec. 29, 2012. That day, Devon Brown scored 32 and Tolu Omotola added 24 points at Winthrop.
• Baker's career-high 21 points eclipsed her previous high of 20 and moved the junior into 50th place all-time at Liberty with 592 career points.
• Baker's seven assists tied her career high.
• Baker made all three of her foul shots and has now hit 13 in a row dating back to Liberty's last home game on Dec. 4.
• Rettstatt has scored in double figures in each of Liberty's three ASUN games this season and has done so in 15 of 19 career ASUN outings.
• Liberty won its ASUN Conference home opener for the first time. Jacksonville spoiled the Lady Flames' inaugural ASUN home game last season with a 64-52 decision at the Vines Center on Jan. 12, 2019.
• The Lady Flames have now won back-to-back home games after losing their first three Vines Center contests of the season.
• Liberty has now held 43 straight opponents below 50 percent field goal shooting.
Up Next The Lady Flames will continue their three-game homestand on Monday, playing host to ASUN co-leader North Alabama (12-3, 3-0 ASUN) for a 7 p.m. tipoff at the Vines Center.
Date: Monday, January 13, 2020 Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Vines Center) TV: ESPN+ Radio: LFSN Radio (90.9 FM The Light Lynchburg) Tipoff: 7 p.m.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram