Liberty volleyball will play at North Florida on Sunday and at Stetson on Tuesday.
Liberty at North Florida Jacksonville, Fla. Match Date: Sunday, Nov. 10 Match Time: 1 p.m. Live Video: ESPN+ Live Stats: Sidearm Stats Liberty at Stetson DeLand, Fla. Match Date: Tuesday, Nov. 12 Match Time: 6 p.m. Live Video: ESPN+ Live Stats: Sidearm Stats Liberty (16-9, 9-4 ASUN), currently third in the ASUN standings, heads to Florida for its final two regular-season away matches. The Lady Flames will play at North Florida (12-15, 5-7) on Sunday at 1 p.m. before taking on Stetson (10-12, 7-5) on Tuesday at 6 p.m. Liberty swept the Ospreys in the teams' first meeting this season, while Stetson came back from a 2-0 deficit to hand Liberty its lone home loss 3-2 on Oct. 13.
The ASUN race is heating up, as FGCU leads at 12-1, followed by Kennesaw State at 9-3. Liberty (9-4) is third, a half-match ahead of Lipscomb (8-4) and 1.5 matches in front of Stetson (7-5) entering the week. The top six teams qualify for the ASUN Championship, to be hosted by FGCU.
STARTING ROTATION 1. Liberty escaped with a 3-2 win over North Alabama, Sunday, improving its home record to 9-1 and clinching a spot in the ASUN Volleyball Championship. For the second match in a row, four Lady Flames (Amelia Johnson, Anna Gragg, Casey Goodwin, Rajini Fitzmaurice) scored 10 or more kills.
2. Redshirt junior Amelia Johnson leads all ASUN players with 4.31 kills per set in conference play.. She scored 29 kills against both Stetson and North Alabama, tying the program single-match record for most kills in a single match under the current 25-point rally-scoring system.
3. Senior middle blocker Anna Gragg, a three-time all-conference performer, is 33rd nationally in hitting percentage (.385) and hits .388 in ASUN matches. Last Tuesday at FGCU, she became the sixth player in program history to reach 400 career blocks. She needs two more blocks to become the first Lady Flame with four straight 100+-block seasons.
4. Senior right-side hitter Casey Goodwin, a two-time all-conference selection, was a first team All-ASUN pick last year when she led the ASUN with 40 aces. She posted her 50th career 10-kill match on Sunday, and ranks 15th in program history with 1,064 career kills.
5. Senior setter Hannah Morris was named the 2019 Fan-Voted ASUN Preseason Setter of the Year. Morris' career-high 61 assists on Oct. 13 against Stetson are the most by any player in the Vines Center under the current 25-point rally-scoring system (since 2008). She dished out 55 assists on Sunday against North Alabama and is now ranked ninth in program history with 2,123 career assists.
6. Rajini Fitzmaurice has three 10-kill matches this season. She scored 15 kills at a .667 pace at NJIT and sent down 13 kills at .440 against Lipscomb before scoring 11 kills vs. North Alabama. Her .667 at NJIT was the best hitting percentage by a Liberty freshman in the rally-scoring era.
7. Liberty welcomes six newcomers, including five freshmen and transfer junior Macy Phillips. Phillips, a libero, comes to Liberty from Florida, where she was a reserve on the Gators' national finalist squad in 2017. Phillips ranks fourth in the ASUN with 4.60 digs per set.
Team Notes - Liberty (16-9) has posted its most wins in a season since ending the 2016 campaign at 16-13.
- On Thursday against Lipscomb, Rajini Fitzmaurice (13), Amelia Johnson (13), Anna Gragg (12) and Casey Goodwin all reached double-figures in kills. The following match, versus North Alabama, Johnson (29), Fitzmaurice (11), Goodwin (11) and Gragg (11) all reached double figures again.
- After posting 13 blocks on Thursday against Lipscomb, Liberty has now posted 10 or more blocks 11 times this season after recording 12 10-block matches in 2018.
- The Lady Flames are now ranked 35th in the nation with 2.53 blocks per set.
- Amelia Johnson (three times), Casey Goodwin (vs. Louisiana) and Anna Gragg (vs. Northern Arizona) all have at least one 20-kill match this season. The last time three Lady Flames had a 20-kill match in the same season was 2003 (Erin McKeown, Becky Rudnick and Tatiana Tkachuk).
- Liberty is 4-1 in five-set matches this season, and 2-1 in five-setters in ASUN play in 2019.
- Twice this season (Sept. 21 vs. Northern Arizona and Oct. 13 vs. Stetson), Liberty has had three players post double-doubles in the same match.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram