The visiting Elon Phoenix rode two first half goals to a 2-0 victory over the Liberty Flames, Saturday evening at Osborne Stadium.
The Phoenix received an own goal and one by Valdi Jonsson to take a 2-0 advantage into halftime. In the second half, Elon held Liberty to one shot on goal to secure the victory.
Liberty drops to 4-9 on the season. Elon moves to 4-7-1.
Scoring Summary 7' – ELON – Own Goal 31' – ELON - Valdi Jonsson (Unassisted)
Turning Point Leading 1-0, Elon extended its lead to 2-0 at 30:51 of the first half. After a pass into the box was blocked, the ball deflected to midfielder Valdi Jonsson at the top of the 18-yard box. Jonsson launched a shot, which found the lower left-hand corner of the net for the Phoenix's second goal of the contest, giving the Flames a 2-0 deficit.
Key Stats & Notes • Liberty held an 8-6 edge in shots. Elon had a 5-2 advantage in corner kicks.
• Musa Morris and Seth Clark each had two shots for the Flames.
• Liberty goalkeeper Danny Cordero did not record a save in the contest, while Elon goalkeeper Peter Wentzel made two saves.
• Jonsson's goal for Elon was his third of the season.
• Tonight's game was the first of three straight home games for the Flames.
• Liberty and Elon had not met in soccer since 1994.
Up Next Liberty will host the Florida Gulf Coast Eagles in an ASUN contest, next Saturday at Osborne Stadium. The match will be part of Homecoming festivities at Liberty. Match time is scheduled for 2 p.m.