The UMBC Retrievers broke a scoreless stalemate with two goals early in the second half en route to a 4-1 victory over the Liberty Flames at Retriever Soccer Park, Tuesday evening.
Retrievers Nick Gumbs and Sam Solomon, who had two goals in the contest, each scored a goal during the first 20 minutes of the second half to give UMBC a 2-0 advantage that the host team never relinquished. Shane Geisler netted Liberty's lone goal.
Liberty drops to 4-8 on the season. UMBC moves to 4-5-1.
Scoring Summary 54' – UMBC – Nick Gumbs (Assisted by Dadi Ingason) 64' – UMBC – Sam Solomon (Assisted by Ryan Becher and Jordan Ehart) 76' – UMBC – Sam Solomon (Assisted by Ryan Becher) 87' – LIBERTY – Shane Geisler (Assisted by Bobby Bynum) 89' – UMBC – Tre Pulliam (Assisted by Colin Weyant)
Turning Point After a scoreless first half, UMBC struck for the first goal of the contest nine minutes into second half. Midfielder Dadi Ingason found fellow midfielder Nick Gumbs 25 yards above the right side of the 18-yard box. Gumbs ripped a shot into the lower left corner of the goal to give the Retrievers an advantage.
Key Stats & Notes • UMBC edged Liberty, 9-8 in shots and 5-4 in corner kicks.
• Shane Geisler scored his first goal of the season for the Flames. Geisler becomes the seventh Flame to score this season.
• Midfielders Tyler Welch and Ruben Garcia attempted two shots each to lead Liberty.
• Liberty goalkeeper Danny Cordero made two saves, while UMBC keeper Quantrell Jones recorded two also.
• UMBC freshman forward Sam Solomon netted the first two goals of his collegiate career in the contest. Retrievers Nick Gumbs' goal was his first of the year.
• Midfielder Ryan Becher had two assists for the Retrievers.
• Tonight, the Flames and Retrievers met on the pitch for the first time since 1997. The two teams were members of the Big South Conference at the time.
Up Next Liberty returns home to begin a three-game homestand on Saturday. The Flames will host the Elon Phoenix at Osborne Stadium. Match time is scheduled for 6 p.m.