Complete Match Notes Jacksonville at Liberty Lynchburg, Va. Match Date: Saturday, Sept. 28 Match Time: 1 p.m. Live Stats: StatBroadcast North Florida at Liberty Lynchburg, Va. Match Date: Sunday, Sept. 29 Match Time: 1 p.m. Live Video: ESPN+ Live Stats: StatBroadcast Liberty (8-5, 1-0 ASUN), coming off of a conference-opening sweep of defending ASUN champion FGCU, welcomes Jacksonville (4-10, 1-0) and North Florida (6-8, 0-0) to the Vines Center.
Liberty and Jacksonville (vs. Stetson) both won their ASUN opener on Tuesday, while North Florida begins conference play on Friday at Kennesaw State.
The Lady Flames swept North Florida in their first-ever ASUN match, Sept. 21, 2018 in Jacksonville. Liberty went a combined 4-0 against Jacksonville and UNF last year. Casey Goodwin's career high of 25 kills came against North Florida on Oct. 21, 2018 at the Vines Center.
STARTING ROTATION 1. Liberty opened ASUN play on Tuesday, holding the top hitting team in the conference, FGCU, to an .048 hitting percentage in a 3-0 sweep. Amelia Johnson led all players with 15 kills. The Lady Flames posted 12.5 team blocks, with Kailey Macy contributing seven blocks. Liberty ranks 24th in the nation with 2.66 blocks per set, while Macy is the conference leader in blocks per set (1.22).
2. Senior middle blocker Anna Gragg, a three-time all-conference performer, is second in the ASUN in attack percentage (.376) and fourth in blocks per set (1.16). She and Casey Goodwin were both voted to the ASUN Preseason All-Conference Team. Both Gragg (vs. Northern Arizona) and Goodwin (vs. Louisiana) have posted one 21-kill match so far this season.
3. Redshirt junior Amelia Johnson is second in the ASUN with 3.84 kills per set. She scored a career-high 19 kills against Virginia Tech on Sept. 7 and matched that total with 19 kills against Louisiana last Friday. She leads the team with 11 double-digit kill matches and five double-doubles.
4. Senior right-side hitter Casey Goodwin, a two-time all-conference selection, was a first team All-ASUN pick last year when she led the ASUN with 40 aces. She needs 36 more kills to become Liberty's 16th player all-time with 1,000 or more career kills.
5. Senior setter Hannah Morris was named the 2019 Fan-Voted ASUN Preseason Setter of the Year. Morris is ranked fourth in the ASUN with 9.63 assists per set. Her career-high 53 assists against Louisiana were the most by a Lady Flame since Amaya Williams' 59 against Presbyterian in 2017.
6. Second-year head coach Trevor Johnson has had a highly successful coaching career. Including his time at Concordia (Calif.) and Liberty, he has posted a 109-36 career record. He coached the Concordia men's team to an NAIA National Championship in 2013.
7. Liberty welcomes six newcomers, including five freshmen and transfer junior Macy Phillips. Phillips, a libero, comes to Liberty from Florida, where she was a reserve on the Gators' national finalist squad in 2017. Phillips ranks fourth in the ASUN with 4.52 digs per set. Team Notes - On Tuesday, Liberty became the first ASUN team since 2017 to sweep FGCU in a match.
- Liberty's current 10-match home winning streak is its longest since winning 15 straight home matches from Oct. 14, 2011 through Sept. 3, 2013. The Lady Flames have lost one set at home this season, going 4-0 this year and 11-3 at home under current head coach Trevor Johnson.
- Liberty went 4-0 to start ASUN play last year, winning at North Florida, Jacksonville, North Alabama and NJIT to begin its first year in the conference.
- The Lady Flames have posted 10 or more blocks seven times this season after recording 12 10-block matches in 2018.
Like Us on Facebook
Follow Us on Twitter
Follow Us on Instagram